How to Determine the Ratio of Inner to Outer Diameter in a Stressed Pipe?

Your Name]In summary, the conversation was about finding the relation between di and do in a problem involving a vertical pipe subjected to axial force and bending moment. The von Mises theorem and section modulus for bending were mentioned as key equations to use. The solution involved rearranging equations and using given values to find the relation between di and do. Further assistance was offered if needed.
hellfish
Basically, my problem is small part of a bigger assignment, but I'm completely stuck at this point. This is really a math problem, but I figured I'd post it here anyway considering I might have misunderstood the physics.

Homework Statement

A vertical pipe is subjected to a axial force of 1089N and an Mb of 600Nm. The maximum stress in the pipe is not to be larger than 150MPa.

I am to find the relation between di and do (di/do), where di is the inner- and do is the outer diameter of the pipe (which is part of a bigger construction.)

Homework Equations

von Mises theorem, but there are no sheer stresses in the pipe.

Also,

sigma=F/A+Mb/Wb+Mv/Wv. However Mv is zero in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

sigma=F/A+Mb/Wb

-> 150e6=1089/[(pi/4)*(dy^2-di^2)+600/(pi/32dy)*(dy^4-di^4)

I can't seem to find a method to isolate di/dy from this equation, mainly because of the single dy in the Wb for circular pipes. Any help would be appreciated. If something is unclear don't hesitate to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can see that you are facing some difficulty in finding the relation between di and do in this problem. It is important to note that in order to solve this problem, you will need to use the equations that you have mentioned correctly.

As you have correctly stated, the von Mises theorem can be used to calculate the maximum stress in the pipe. However, in this case, there are no shear stresses present, so the equation can be simplified to:

σ = F/A + Mb/Wb

Where σ is the maximum stress, F is the axial force, A is the cross-sectional area, Mb is the bending moment, and Wb is the section modulus for bending.

Now, in order to find the relation between di and do, we need to use the equation for section modulus for bending, which is:

Wb = π/32 * (do^4 - di^4)

Substituting this into the equation for maximum stress, we get:

σ = F/A + Mb/(π/32 * (do^4 - di^4))

Rearranging this equation, we get:

(do^4 - di^4) = Mb/(σ * π/32) - F/A

(do^2 + di^2) * (do^2 - di^2) = Mb/(σ * π/32) - F/A

(do^2 - di^2) = (Mb/(σ * π/32) - F/A)/(do^2 + di^2)

Now, we can use the given values for Mb, F, and σ to find the value of do^2 + di^2. Once we have that, we can rearrange the equation to get the relation between di and do.

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is solid mechanics?

Solid mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of the behavior of solid materials under external forces. It involves understanding the stresses, deformations, and motion of solid objects.

2. What are some common examples of solid mechanics problems?

Some common examples of solid mechanics problems include analyzing the strength and stability of structures such as buildings and bridges, predicting the behavior of materials under different loads, and designing mechanical components for machines.

3. How do engineers use solid mechanics?

Engineers use solid mechanics principles to design and analyze structures and mechanical systems. This includes determining the best materials to use, calculating load capacities, and predicting the failure points of different components.

4. What are the main principles of solid mechanics?

The main principles of solid mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, the concept of stress and strain, the theory of elasticity, and the concept of equilibrium. These principles help in understanding how forces affect the behavior of solid materials.

5. How does solid mechanics relate to other branches of science and engineering?

Solid mechanics is closely related to other branches of science and engineering such as physics, materials science, and structural engineering. It provides a foundation for understanding the mechanical behavior of materials and is essential in the design and construction of various structures and mechanical systems.

Back