Simply Supported Beam Stress Block Selection

In summary, the conversation is about a student preparing for a test and working through a sample test without any answer key. The question involves choosing the appropriate stress blocks for a simply supported beam and the student is seeking confirmation on their attempt at solving it. They believe that the correct answer for point Z is F.
tathundy

Homework Statement

Hey guys,
I have a test coming up soon, and our lecturer gave us a sample test. I am working through it, but we have not been given any answers to confirm if what we are doing is correct.

The Question:
"For the simply supported beam (with upstand) shown in Figure 3b, at the points noted by W, X, Y
and Z, choose the appropriate stress block from the choices A to F below, and fill in your results in
the Table provided."

Here is a scan of the question in full with my attempt at it. I think it is correct, but it would be good to have someone confirm it for me.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment IMG_20140515_0001.pdf

Thanks guys, help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think Z should be F, no?

1. What is the definition of stress block in solid mechanics?

A stress block is a simplified representation of the stress distribution in a solid material under load. It is typically a rectangular or trapezoidal shape that is used to analyze the stress and strain in a particular section of a material.

2. How is the stress block determined in solid mechanics?

The stress block is determined by considering the material's properties, such as its Young's modulus and yield strength, as well as the applied load and geometry of the material. These factors are used to calculate the maximum stress and strain in the section, which is then represented by the stress block.

3. What is the purpose of using stress blocks in solid mechanics?

Stress blocks are used to simplify the analysis of stress and strain in a material, making it easier to determine the material's strength and stability. They also provide a visual representation of the stress distribution, allowing engineers to identify potential weak points in a structure and make necessary design changes.

4. How do stress blocks differ for different materials in solid mechanics?

The shape and size of the stress block can vary depending on the material being analyzed. Materials with different properties, such as different Young's moduli or yield strengths, will have different stress block shapes. Additionally, the shape of the stress block may change depending on the type of loading, such as tension, compression, or bending.

5. Are there any limitations to using stress blocks in solid mechanics?

While stress blocks can provide a simplified analysis of stress and strain in a material, they do have some limitations. They are based on idealized assumptions and may not accurately represent the actual stress distribution in a material. Additionally, they may not account for factors such as material defects or variations in loading conditions, which could affect the accuracy of the analysis.