Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid of Revolution Inquiry

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting homework questions in a non-homework section
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm stuck and not sure where to start/how to go about it and finding the integral as well...

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis.
    y=5x^2,x=1,y=0, about the x-axis

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Imagine a line drawn perpendicular to the x-axis up to the give parabola. Rotated around the x-axis, it will sweep out a disk with area [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] so, imagining a thickness of "dx", volume [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex]. Integrate that from 0 to 1.

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3

so when I do that.. I come up with (pi)(int 0-->1)(5*((x^3)/3)= (pi) (int. 0-->1) 5(1^3)/3= 5pi/3. But it says this answer is incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

5. Aug 7, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]y= 5x^2[/itex] then [itex]y^2[/itex] is NOT equal to "[itex]5x^3/3[/itex]"!

Or did you mean that [itex]5x^3/3[/itex] is the result of integrating [itex]x^2 dx[/itex]? (If so do NOT continue to write "int. 0-->1"!)

That would be the integral of [itex]\pi x^2dx[/itex] but that is NOT what you should be integrating! You should be integrating [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex]. And, of course, [itex]y= 5x^2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  6. Aug 8, 2015 #5

phion

Gold Member

I think the disk method in terms of x should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook