Volume of Solid of Revolution with Disk Method: y=5x^2, x=1, y=0 about x-axis

In summary, the conversation was about finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by given curves about a specified axis. The recommended method was to use the disk method and integrate \pi y^2 dx from 0 to 1, where y=5x^2. However, there was a mistake in the integration step, as the correct integral should be \pi x^4 dx, leading to a final answer of \pi/3.
Bricenob
Member warned about posting homework questions in a non-homework section
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm stuck and not sure where to start/how to go about it and finding the integral as well...

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis.
y=5x^2,x=1,y=0, about the x-axis

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a line drawn perpendicular to the x-axis up to the give parabola. Rotated around the x-axis, it will sweep out a disk with area [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] so, imagining a thickness of "dx", volume [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex]. Integrate that from 0 to 1.

HallsofIvy said:
Imagine a line drawn perpendicular to the x-axis up to the give parabola. Rotated around the x-axis, it will sweep out a disk with area [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] so, imagining a thickness of "dx", volume [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex]. Integrate that from 0 to 1.
so when I do that.. I come up with (pi)(int 0-->1)(5*((x^3)/3)= (pi) (int. 0-->1) 5(1^3)/3= 5pi/3. But it says this answer is incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

If [itex]y= 5x^2[/itex] then [itex]y^2[/itex] is NOT equal to "[itex]5x^3/3[/itex]"!

Or did you mean that [itex]5x^3/3[/itex] is the result of integrating [itex]x^2 dx[/itex]? (If so do NOT continue to write "int. 0-->1"!)

That would be the integral of [itex]\pi x^2dx[/itex] but that is NOT what you should be integrating! You should be integrating [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex]. And, of course, [itex]y= 5x^2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the disk method in terms of x should work.

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. This process creates a symmetrical, cylindrical shape that can be hollow or solid.

2. How is a solid of revolution different from a regular solid?

A solid of revolution is different from a regular solid because it is created through rotational symmetry rather than being built up from individual pieces. This means that the shape of a solid of revolution stays consistent throughout its entire volume.

3. What are some real-life examples of solids of revolution?

Some common examples of solids of revolution include a cylinder (created by rotating a rectangle), a cone (created by rotating a right triangle), and a sphere (created by rotating a circle). Other examples include drinking glasses, lampshades, and traffic cones.

4. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution is V = ∫πr^2 dx, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the edge of the shape, and dx represents the width of each infinitesimal slice of the shape. This formula is based on the concept of integration in calculus.

5. How is a solid of revolution used in mathematics and science?

A solid of revolution is used in mathematics and science to model and analyze various real-world phenomena, such as the volume of an object, the flow of fluids, and the distribution of mass in a rotating body. It is also used in engineering and design to create symmetrical and efficient structures and objects.