1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid of Revolution

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The area enclosed between the ellipse [itex]4x^2 + 9y^2 = 36[/itex] and its auxiliary circle [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 9[/itex] is rotated about the y-axis through [itex]\pi[/itex] radians. Find, by integration, the volume generated.

This is the whole question. I assume it means bounded by the x-axis, but even if this isn't the case, my answer is wrong. :(

Solution: [itex]12\pi[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V = \int_a^b{A(y)\,dy}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 9 \Rightarrow x^2 = 9 - y^2[/tex]

[tex]4x^2 + 9y^2 = 36 \Rightarrow x^2 = \frac{36-9y^2}{4}[/tex]

[tex]A(y) = \pi \left [ \left ( 9-y^2 \right ) - \left ( \frac{36-9y^2}{4} \right ) \right ] = \frac{5\pi}{4}y^2[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^3{\frac{5\pi}{4}y^2\,dy} = \frac{5\pi}{4} \left [ \frac{y^3}{3} \right ]^3_0 = \frac{45\pi}{4}[/tex]

I hope someone can help me find where I went wrong! Thanks very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I see no reason to assume "bounded" by the y-axis. There are "natural" bounds at x= -3 and x= 3 and if nothing else is said, I think those should be used.

Of course, x2+ y2= 9 is a cirlcle with center at (0,0) and radius 3. Rotated around any axis it makes a sphere with center at (0,0,0) and radius 3. Its volume is [itex](4/3)\pi 3^3= 36\pi[/itex].

[itex]4x^2+ 9y^2= 36[/itex] is an ellipse with center at (0,0), semi-major axis along the x-axisd of length 3 and semi-minor axis along the y-axis of length 2. Rotating around the y-axis makes an ellipsoid with center at (0,0,0) and semi-axes of length 2, 3 and 3. Its volume is given by [itex](4/3)\pi (3)(3)(2)= 24\pi[/itex].

The volume between the two figures is [itex]36\pi- 24\pi= 12\pi[/itex]. However, if it is only rotated by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians, that is only half a circle so we should ony get 1/2 the volume: [itex]6\pi[/itex]. Are you sure about that? Of course, that's not "by integration" but serves as a check.

The problem is that the ellipse does not extend above y= 2. I think you need to do this in parts: for 0< y< 2, you do, in fact, have [itex]\pi [(9- x^2)- (36- 9x^2)/4]= (5/4)\pi x^2[/itex]. But for 2< y< 3, you have the full [itex]\pi(9- x^2)[/itex].
  4. Jun 30, 2008 #3
    I *think* I get it now. Because [itex]4x^2+9y^2=36[/itex] doesn't extend above [itex]y=2[/itex], I needed to "partition" the volume and evaluate
    [tex]\pi \left ( \frac{5}{4}\int_0^2{x^2\,dx} + \int_2^3{9-x^2\,dx} \right ) = 6\pi[/tex]
    and then either double for the part below the x-axis, or work it out by hand using the same idea.

Thanks very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?