1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid of revolution

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1
    Could someone please explain how to do this question.

Find the volume of the solid formed when the area between y=√x and y=x^4 is rotated about the line x=2.

I know how to do this when it's rotated about the x and y axes, but I'm not sure how to do it with a different line.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Option 1: compute the area bounded by those curves, then find the x co-ordinate of its centroid and find the circumference of the circle whose radius is the distance from this centroid to the line x=2. Multiply the area by the circumference to get your volume (Pappus's Second Theorem).

Option 2: Notice why this problem is the same as the problem of finding the volume of the solid formed when the area between y = √(x + 2) and y = (x + 2)4 are rotated about the x-axis, and use this to solve the problem as you already know how to.

4. Aug 26, 2005 #3
    Do you mean about the y-axis? If the original problem says to rotate the solid about the line x=2.

5. Aug 26, 2005 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you're right, the y-axis (the line x = 0).

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5
    Thanks for your help :smile:

7. Aug 29, 2005 #6
    I can't seem to get the answer. I'm using the 2nd method. I'm meant to be rotating about the y-axis, aren't I?

In that case,

x^2=(y^2-2)^2------------- x^2=((y^1/4)-2)^2
    =y^4-4y^2+4 --------------= y-(4y1/4)+4

Then you integrate these? The bounds are y=0, y=1. But I end up with completely the wrong answer.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  8. Aug 29, 2005 #7

TD

Homework Helper

By using [itex]y = \sqrt {x+2}[/itex] and [itex]y = (x+2)^4[/itex], you 'moved' the functions two places to the left. Your bounds have to move then as well, so you integrate from y = -2 to y = -1.

The volume of a solid of revolution, about the y-axis, is the given by:

[tex]\pi \int\limits_a^b {f\left( y \right)^2 dy} [/tex]

9. Aug 29, 2005 #8
    Okay, the bounds move, but that results in an undefined answer, if my expansion above is correct.

Shouldn't it be y= 2,1. You can't get a negative answer from those equations.

10. Aug 29, 2005 #9

TD

Homework Helper

Your expansion isn't really clear to me...

11. Aug 29, 2005 #10
    I'm not sure how I can make it clearer, but when you rearrange [itex]y = \sqrt {x+2}[/itex], you get [itex]x^2 = y^4-4y^2+4[/itex].

When you rearrange [itex]y = (x+2)^4[/itex], you get [itex]x^2 = y-4y^(1/4)+4[/itex]

For the latter, that is the 4th root for the 2nd term.

12. Aug 29, 2005 #11

TD

Homework Helper

If you have 2 functions g(x) and h(x) and you want to find the solid of revolution of their difference (f(x) = h(x) - g(x)), the function f(x)² in the previous mentioned formula isn't h(x)²-g(x)² but (h(x) - g(x))² which isn't the same.

13. Aug 29, 2005 #12
    okay, [itex]y = \sqrt {x+2}[/itex], is rearranged to [itex]x = y^2-2[/itex].

[itex]y = (x+2)^4[/itex] is rearranged to [itex]x = y^(1/4)-2[/itex]

Then, [itex][(y^2-2)-(y^(1/4)-2)]^2[/itex]

Then you get [itex]y^4-y^2+y^(1/16)[/itex]

But shouldn't you just integrate from the same bounds because your only changing the values of the x-axis.

14. Aug 29, 2005 #13

TD

Homework Helper

I'm sorry, I think I confused you and my last answer wasn't entirely correct.

Using f(x) = h(x) - g(x) doesn't change the area, but it does move it so the volume of the solid of revolution doesn't stay the same. Therefore, it would be indeed better to calculate the entire V of the solid of revolution of h(x) and then substract the one of g(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?