Volume of Solid Revolution: Find x=2 Rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses two options for finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating the area between two curves about a given line. It is suggested to either use Pappus's Second Theorem or to notice the similarities between the problem and another one that has already been solved. It is also clarified that the line of rotation is the y-axis, not the x-axis as originally stated. The conversation also addresses a mistake made in the calculation and provides a clarification on integrating the functions.
~angel~
Could someone please explain how to do this question.

Find the volume of the solid formed when the area between y=√x and y=x^4 is rotated about the line x=2.

I know how to do this when it's rotated about the x and y axes, but I'm not sure how to do it with a different line.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Option 1: compute the area bounded by those curves, then find the x co-ordinate of its centroid and find the circumference of the circle whose radius is the distance from this centroid to the line x=2. Multiply the area by the circumference to get your volume (Pappus's Second Theorem).

Option 2: Notice why this problem is the same as the problem of finding the volume of the solid formed when the area between y = √(x + 2) and y = (x + 2)4 are rotated about the x-axis, and use this to solve the problem as you already know how to.

AKG said:
Notice why this problem is the same as [rotating the lines] about the x-axis
Do you mean about the y-axis? If the original problem says to rotate the solid about the line x=2.

Yes, you're right, the y-axis (the line x = 0).

Thanks for your help :smile:

I can't seem to get the answer. I'm using the 2nd method. I'm meant to be rotating about the y-axis, aren't I?

In that case,

x^2=(y^2-2)^2------------- x^2=((y^1/4)-2)^2
=y^4-4y^2+4 --------------= y-(4y1/4)+4

Then you integrate these? The bounds are y=0, y=1. But I end up with completely the wrong answer.

Last edited:
By using [itex]y = \sqrt {x+2}[/itex] and [itex]y = (x+2)^4[/itex], you 'moved' the functions two places to the left. Your bounds have to move then as well, so you integrate from y = -2 to y = -1.

The volume of a solid of revolution, about the y-axis, is the given by:

[tex]\pi \int\limits_a^b {f\left( y \right)^2 dy} [/tex]

Okay, the bounds move, but that results in an undefined answer, if my expansion above is correct.

Shouldn't it be y= 2,1. You can't get a negative answer from those equations.

Your expansion isn't really clear to me...

I'm not sure how I can make it clearer, but when you rearrange [itex]y = \sqrt {x+2}[/itex], you get [itex]x^2 = y^4-4y^2+4[/itex].

When you rearrange [itex]y = (x+2)^4[/itex], you get [itex]x^2 = y-4y^(1/4)+4[/itex]

For the latter, that is the 4th root for the 2nd term.

If you have 2 functions g(x) and h(x) and you want to find the solid of revolution of their difference (f(x) = h(x) - g(x)), the function f(x)² in the previous mentioned formula isn't h(x)²-g(x)² but (h(x) - g(x))² which isn't the same.

okay, [itex]y = \sqrt {x+2}[/itex], is rearranged to [itex]x = y^2-2[/itex].

[itex]y = (x+2)^4[/itex] is rearranged to [itex]x = y^(1/4)-2[/itex]

Then, [itex][(y^2-2)-(y^(1/4)-2)]^2[/itex]

Then you get [itex]y^4-y^2+y^(1/16)[/itex]

But shouldn't you just integrate from the same bounds because your only changing the values of the x-axis.

I'm sorry, I think I confused you and my last answer wasn't entirely correct.

Using f(x) = h(x) - g(x) doesn't change the area, but it does move it so the volume of the solid of revolution doesn't stay the same. Therefore, it would be indeed better to calculate the entire V of the solid of revolution of h(x) and then substract the one of g(x).

1. What is the Volume of Solid Revolution?

The Volume of Solid Revolution is a mathematical concept that calculates the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

2. How do you find the Volume of Solid Revolution for x=2 Rotation?

To find the Volume of Solid Revolution for x=2 Rotation, you will need to use the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx. This formula involves integrating the function of the curve that forms the 2D shape, and then squaring it before multiplying by π.

3. What is the significance of x=2 in the Volume of Solid Revolution?

In the context of Volume of Solid Revolution, x=2 means that the axis of rotation is located at x=2 on the Cartesian plane. This helps to determine the orientation and shape of the resulting solid object.

4. Can the Volume of Solid Revolution for x=2 Rotation be negative?

No, the Volume of Solid Revolution cannot be negative. Since volume is a measure of space, it can only have positive values. If the resulting volume is negative, it means that there is an error in the calculation or the axis of rotation was incorrectly placed.

5. What are some real-life applications of Volume of Solid Revolution?

Volume of Solid Revolution has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to calculate the volume of objects with curved surfaces, such as bottles, pipes, and cones. It is also used in designing and constructing buildings and bridges with complex shapes.