Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid-state cooling

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    If electric current passes from relatively good conductor to a much worse conductor (resistance), electrons start to loose energy and dissipate it as heat. Does opposite effect take place? I mean, when electrons pass from some poor conductor to a much better conductor, will they absorb energy and thus cool the good conductor?
    I thought on some relatively inexpensive solid-state cooling which is cheaper than regular thermoelectric.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, the lower resistance region will just dissipate less energy, not absorb it.

Keep asking good questions though! :-)

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    Maybe my mistake, but it seems that when motion of some particles turn from more chaotic to more orderly it could be associated with cooling. Could we do the same thing with a two conductors? For example in one of them electrons do not follow a straight paths even if they flow in general in some direction, whereas in other conductor they move more straight and thus orderly? Will they start to absorb heat when pass from one to another?
    Also there could be such ideas as to combine a resistance with a transverse magnetic field or to have a conductor with a gradient of admixture which will cause gradual change of a work function in relation to a certain quantity of a charge along its length. What do you think about it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook