1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State electron diffraction

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A crystal with unknown lattice spacing is studied using electron diffraction.
    The electron wavelength is 3.7pm.

a) assuming a simple cubic lattice, what is its size if the smallest diffraction peak is at 0.5 degrees?

b) At what angle is the nxt peak?

c) At what angle is the [122] peak?

d) The [122] and [310] planes will be situated close to each other. Without calculating the angle at which the [310] peak scatters electrons, can the two peaks be resolved if the accuracy to which the angle can be determined is 0.03 degrees?

e) Comment on the locations of the [220] peak and the second order peak of [110].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]n\lambda = 2dsin\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) Rearranged the above equation to give d=2.12*10^-10 m=a

b) said that the next peak will be at [110] and so d=[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]a, put that into the equation above to give theta = 0.71 deg.

c) said that d=3a and put this into the above equation to give theta = 0.83 deg.

d) I don't really understand how to go about this question. Any hints would be appreciated.

e) I haven't fully looked at this part yet (stuck on the previous bit), but first off I would say that the locations of the peaks are in the same place. I think anything else would be a bonus!!

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?