Solid State Electronic Devices - Valence Electrons Question

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the problem involves determining the concentration of valence electrons in doped Si and GaAs. The dopants do not affect the number of valence electrons, and the crystal lattice constant is provided to help calculate the number of valence electrons in the unit cell. Referring to Figure 3-3 for the definition of valence electrons is recommended.
hatfarm

Homework Statement

2. Determine the concentration of valence electrons in doped
(a) Si (a = 0.543 nm)
(b) GaAs (a = 0.565 nm)

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the problem, I don't really know what they're looking for. I know what valence electrons are, but doesn't it matter what it's doped with? Why are they giving me the crystal lattice constant? I can't find anything that quite relates these things in the chapters we have gone through, nor in the lecture notes. I'm really stumped, I just have no idea where to start. The TA sent out an email, but here is what it said,

"Many of you have some problems with the problem 2 of HW2, here are some hints:

1) The dopants (too small concentration) don't influence the number of valence electrons.
2) Refer to Figure 3-3 for "valence electrons" definition."

The definition I know, but how does 1 help me at all?

The only thing I can think of is that when the relative spacing of atoms reaches a certain small point (when the band begins to emerge) there are 4N (N being the number of atoms) electrons in the valence band. However, wouldn't this change when they are doped? Wouldn't that change depending on what it was doped with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post,

I understand your confusion about the problem and appreciate your effort in trying to find a solution. Let me try to clarify things for you.

Firstly, the dopants in this problem do not have a significant effect on the number of valence electrons. Therefore, you can assume that the number of valence electrons in doped Si and GaAs is the same as the number of valence electrons in pure Si and GaAs.

Secondly, the crystal lattice constant is given to help you calculate the concentration of valence electrons. The lattice constant is a measure of the distance between atoms in a crystal. By knowing the lattice constant, you can calculate the volume of the unit cell (the basic repeating unit of a crystal). This volume can then be used to determine the number of atoms in the unit cell. And since you know the number of valence electrons per atom, you can calculate the total number of valence electrons in the unit cell.

I suggest referring to Figure 3-3, as suggested by your TA, for a better understanding of the definition of valence electrons. Once you have a clear understanding of the concept, you can use the given information to calculate the concentration of valence electrons in doped Si and GaAs.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your solution.

What are valence electrons?

Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom. These electrons are responsible for the chemical properties of an element and determine how it will interact with other atoms.

How many valence electrons do elements in the same group have?

Elements in the same group have the same number of valence electrons. For example, all elements in group 1 have 1 valence electron, while elements in group 14 have 4 valence electrons.

Why are valence electrons important in solid state electronic devices?

Valence electrons play a crucial role in the behavior of solid state electronic devices. These electrons are able to move freely through the material, allowing for the flow of electric current. Additionally, the number of valence electrons can determine the conductivity and other properties of the material.

How do valence electrons contribute to the bonding in solid state electronic devices?

Valence electrons are involved in the formation of chemical bonds between atoms in solid state electronic devices. These bonds can be covalent, ionic, or metallic, and they determine the overall structure and properties of the material.

Can the number of valence electrons in a material be changed?

The number of valence electrons in a material is determined by the element's position on the periodic table and cannot be changed. However, the behavior and properties of the material can be altered by manipulating the arrangement of the valence electrons through processes such as doping or alloying.