Are there any materials where ions are the charge carriers instead of electrons?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of materials, such as metals, that use ions as charge carriers instead of electrons. It was also mentioned that the conductivity in these materials is typically lower than in metals, and the possibility of using P-type semiconductors as an alternative. Some examples of materials that use ions as charge carriers include zirconium oxide, glass electrodes, and sodium beta-alumina.
Salvador
I was wondering , are there any materials , metal or others, that have ions as the charge carriers that form current instead of electrons as in most metals.?
and are the ohmic resistance in room temperature for example similar to materials were current is formed by electrons or is the resistance higher?Also if I can add , I would like to know , if I have two wires connected together , one is an oridnary wire with electrons forming current and the other wire has ions carrying current , now if i move both wires the same way through a magnetic field , would i have a single loop of current as in the current in one wire would go one way while the current in the ion wire would go the other way or would the currents both go the same way as would happen if both wires were made of ordinary copper?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrolytes conduct electricity using ions rather than electrons. The conductivity is typically lower than for metal.

Salvador said:
I was wondering , are there any materials , metal or others, that have ions as the charge carriers that form current instead of electrons as in most metals.?
and are the ohmic resistance in room temperature for example similar to materials were current is formed by electrons or is the resistance higher?

Also if I can add , I would like to know , if I have two wires connected together , one is an oridnary wire with electrons forming current and the other wire has ions carrying current , now if i move both wires the same way through a magnetic field , would i have a single loop of current as in the current in one wire would go one way while the current in the ion wire would go the other way or would the currents both go the same way as would happen if both wires were made of ordinary copper?

thanks.

Like Dale said, electrolytes conduct electricity via ions rather than electrons. In P-type semiconductors, positively charged 'holes' in the crystal lattice are the majority charge carriers rather than electrons. As far as I know, there are no solid materials where actual ions are the charge carriers. Whether or not that's even theoretically possible is kind of an interesting question, maybe someone on here will know more. You can look up the electrical characteristics of semiconductors, and as you can imagine they vary considerably depending on the material. P-types are very commonly used though, and you can find them in BJTs, FETs, etc.

Funestis said:
As far as I know, there are no solid materials where actual ions are the charge carriers. Whether or not that's even theoretically possible is kind of an interesting question, maybe someone on here will know more.
In fact, there are some examples: The lambda sensor in cars measures the oxygen concentration using a Zirconium oxide membrane which conducts oxygen ions at elevated temperatures. Another example are glass electrodes as used to measure the pH of solutions. There, hydrogen ions can move through the glass membrane. Another important material is sodium beta-alumina which is used in several high energy batteries. The sodium ion can move in the crystal lattice, here.

What is a solid state ion conductor?

A solid state ion conductor is a material that allows the movement of ions through its solid structure, without the need for a liquid medium. This movement of ions is what makes the material conductive.

What are the applications of solid state ion conductors?

Solid state ion conductors have a wide range of applications, including in batteries, fuel cells, sensors, and electrochromic devices. They are also being researched for use in solid state electrolytes for rechargeable batteries.

How do solid state ion conductors differ from liquid electrolytes?

Unlike liquid electrolytes, solid state ion conductors do not require a solvent to transport ions. They also have higher mechanical stability and are less prone to leakage and evaporation, making them potentially safer and more durable.

What are the challenges in developing solid state ion conductors?

One of the main challenges is finding materials with high ionic conductivity, as well as good mechanical and chemical stability. Another challenge is achieving a high density of mobile ions, which is necessary for efficient ion transport.

What are some recent advancements in the field of solid state ion conductors?

Recent advancements include the discovery of new materials with high ionic conductivity, such as garnet-type oxides and sulfides. There is also ongoing research into new methods for synthesizing and processing solid state ion conductors, as well as efforts to understand and improve their properties through computational modeling.