1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State Physics Help Please (Instrinsic->Extrinsic)

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    Solid State Physics Help Please!!! (Instrinsic->Extrinsic)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3 samples of silicon with donor densities of:

1st sample: 10^18 cm^-3
    2nd sample: 10^16 cm^-3
    3rd sample: 10^14 cm^-3

for each, find out at what temp the sample transitions from intrinsic to extrinsic behavior

2. Relevant equations

this is what i need help with.. I read the section of intrinsic->extrinsic behavior but I can't find any equations that relate donor densities with temperature..

the equations i know/see from the section:

for instrinsic:

n = p (concentration of electron in conduction band = concentration of holes in valence band )

r_i = g_i (regeneration rate of EHP (electron hole pairs) = recombination rate of EHP)

from those 2 and equilibrium we can get :

r_i = alpha_r n_0 p_0 = alpha_r (n_i)^2 = g_i (at any temperature we can predict that the rate of recombination of electrons and holes r _i is proportional to the equalibrium concentration of electrons n_0 and the concentration of holes p_0)

for extrinsic materials, it just talks about what it is (when a crystal is doped s uch that the equilibrium carrier concentrationns n_0 and p_0 are different from the intrinsic carrier concentration n_i )

After this section it goes on and tals about Fermi energy and levels..

So I'm not quite sure how I can apply the equations I have to solve this problem..

Please advise.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted