Solid state physics which element?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing an element to work with for a solid state physics assignment. Carbon and superconductors like lead and mercury are suggested as interesting options, with consideration for their crystal structure and properties.
rayman123

Homework Statement

I have just started solid state physics course and we got an assignment to choose one element that we are going to work with. Which element is interesting from a solid state physics point of view (and relatively not too difficult to work with)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rayman123 said:
I have just started solid state physics course and we got an assignment to choose one element that we are going to work with. Which element is interesting from a solid state physics point of view (and relatively not too difficult to work with)?

Carbon is pretty cool. All you have to do is stick tape to some graphite, pull off some layers of graphene ... and there's your Nobel Prize. :smile: kidding of course

ah okej:)
any other options in case if there will be 'fight' for it among the other students?
I thought about germanium maybe? some alkalimetals? Do not want to be too ambitious and pick up the most difficult one:P
It is important also to find relative information as well;)

how about a superconductor? lead and mercury are known to superconduct at near 0K

hm that sounds very interesting. I did not think about it. I wonder if their crystallography is also nice to work with?
We are going to look at the chosen element with respect to its crystal structure, magnetism, paramagnetism, termical properties and so on.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the branch of physics that deals with the properties and behavior of solid materials, particularly their electrons and atoms.

2. What are the different states of matter?

There are three main states of matter: solid, liquid, and gas. In solid state physics, the focus is on the properties and behavior of solids.

3. What is an element?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is made up of atoms of the same type.

4. How is solid state physics related to elements?

Solid state physics studies the properties and behavior of elements in their solid state. This includes how the atoms and electrons within an element interact and how these interactions affect the overall behavior of the material.

5. Which element is most commonly studied in solid state physics?

The most commonly studied element in solid state physics is silicon, due to its widespread use in electronic devices. Other elements that are frequently studied include carbon, copper, and gold.