Solid state physics which element?

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have just started solid state physics course and we got an assignment to choose one element that we are going to work with. Which element is interesting from a solid state physics point of view (and relatively not too difficult to work with)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Carbon is pretty cool. All you have to do is stick tape to some graphite, pull off some layers of graphene ... and there's your Nobel Prize. :smile: kidding of course

4. ah okej:)
    any other options in case if there will be 'fight' for it among the other students?
    I thought about germanium maybe? some alkalimetals? Do not want to be too ambitious and pick up the most difficult one:P
    It is important also to find relative information as well;)

5. how about a superconductor? lead and mercury are known to superconduct at near 0K

6. hm that sounds very interesting. I did not think about it. I wonder if their crystallography is also nice to work with?
    We are going to look at the chosen element with respect to its crystal structure, magnetism, paramagnetism, termical properties and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?