1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state physics

1. Dec 25, 2006 #1
    1 few questions here

Does anyone know websites that i can get solid state physics problems and answers.

2ndly How do you show a semiconductor of type 1
    behaves as a perfect diamagnet.

I know by drawing a diagram but don't how to show it

what is the definition of an 'optical branch' and 'acoustic branch' for chain of atoms. I cant find
    clear definitions

explain why kc1 which has the nac1 structure scatters X rays as though it had the simple cubic structure with half the true lattice spacing

All these questions are bothering and cant find them in books.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2006 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The optical and acoustic branches come about because the lattice has a basis, i.e. two different atomic species. The acoustic branch is due to the atoms oscillating in phase with each other. The optical branch is seen when the atoms of different masses oscillate out of phase with each other.

Your text should have these answers in there.
  4. Dec 26, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get a copy of Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics. (Some people prefer older editions).
    As for question 2, that should be a superconductor not a semiconductor. There is a huge difference!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?