1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state physics

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The element Po forms a crystal with a simple cubic structure of spacing
    (3.34A). What is the maximal wavelength of radiation that is diffracted from a powder of that crystal

2. Relevant equations
    N/a, however I thought that it may well be something to do with the bragg equation i.e 2d sin(angle) = n*wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution

I had started using the bragg equation, but it's fairly obvious to see that I need to have the angle of incident/reflection also in order to find the wavelength.

As this is the first time that I have had any experience of solid state, I'm really not quite getting it - probably just me.

Could you suggest where I may be going wrong i.e. am I using the wrong equation for this question? and could you suggest a starting point.

I guess that I need to use some feature of the cubic structure in order to calculate this, but I'm a bit lost. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question asks for the maximum wavelength and so all you have to do is think of what sin theta will give you the largest value.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?