Calculating Energy of a Conduction Band Electron in Silicon

In summary, the conversation is about a Solid State Physics homework question on calculating the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon with a given k-vector and lattice constant. The person asking for guidance is unsure about calculating the energy from the "conduction band edge" and is seeking clarification. Another person gives a hint and the first person shows their progress so far. The second person adds that the energy should have a unit and that the "conduction band edge" should be considered as zero.
NPFD
Greetings all this is my first post in this forum. I've got a Solid state physics homework question (i know that the intent of this forum is not to do homework, all i want is guidence in the correct direction not the answer itself.) Any way here it is:

A conduction band electron in silicon is in the (100) valley and has a k-vector of 2pi/a (1.0, 0.1, 0.1). Calculate the energy of the electron measured from the conduction band edge. Here 'a' is the lattice constant of silicon (5.43 Å).

Any ideas on where to begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome NPFD,
even though you seem to have nothing so far, I think it's OK if I give the following hint:

If you know the k vector, then you also know the momentum vector. Now, how is kinetic energy linked to momentum?

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question was a little vague, sorry for the confusion. I understand what you are saying with relating momentum and energy but i guess what i am unclear on is that i should calculate the energy from the "conduction band edge." How is this different from finding the energy anywhere else in the band? Are they simply asking find the maximum energy an electron can hold before it jumps to the next level?
For the sake of clearity let me show you what i have so far. I've got a k-vector of 2pi/a (1.0, 0.1, 0.1), where a=5.43. So my vector is:
k-vector=(0.368, 0.0368, 0.0368)

I also know that:
E(k-vector)=((hbar^2)(|k|^2)/2m.

After doing this i found the energy to be E(k-vector) = 0.033. So as i was saying how is this energy different from that of the energy at the "conduction band edge?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks OK to me, but your answer should have a unit. I think the standard unit in a problem like this should be electronvolts.

What is meant by 'conduction band edge'? I'm not sure, but I guess, to be in the conduction band, an electron must have some average linear momentum, i.e., must not be bound to a single nucleus. Thus, I guess what they ask for is just the kinetic energy as calculated from the linear momentum. As you did.

"Calculate the energy of the electron measured from the conduction band edge."

Energy is defined up to an additive constant. The instruction above means that the energy of the conduction band edge should be considered as zero.
:smile:

1. How is the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon calculated?

The energy of a conduction band electron in silicon can be calculated using the equation E = h²/(8mL²), where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and L is the length of the silicon crystal. This equation takes into account the quantum mechanics of the electron and the properties of the silicon crystal.

2. What is the significance of calculating the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon?

Calculating the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon is important for understanding the electrical properties of silicon, which is a commonly used semiconductor material. This calculation helps scientists and engineers design and optimize electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells.

3. How does the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon change with temperature?

The energy of a conduction band electron in silicon increases with temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons are excited into the conduction band, increasing the overall energy level of the band. This phenomenon is known as thermal excitation.

4. Can the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon be altered by external factors?

Yes, the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon can be altered by external factors such as an applied electric field or the presence of impurities in the silicon crystal. These external factors can influence the movement and behavior of the electrons in the conduction band, thus affecting their energy levels.

5. How does the energy of a conduction band electron in silicon relate to the band gap of the material?

The band gap of a material is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band. The energy of a conduction band electron in silicon is at or near the bottom of the conduction band, so it is directly related to the band gap. A smaller band gap means a lower energy for the conduction band electrons, while a larger band gap means a higher energy.