1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state physics

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    I am just finishing my A.S. in Electrical Engineering Tech. and am looking into bachelor programs. I want to double major in EE and physics. At the University of Iowa they have an applied physics program with a concentration in solid state electronics. I was wondering if solid state electronics is worth pursuing and if electrical engineering is a discipline that is worth going to graduate school for?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2
    Pursue that in which you are interested.

There was a recent discussion here with many positive replies about EE.

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3
    I personally am biased towards solid state stuff, as an applied physics major. I think it's awesome so far.

I don't think I can give too much advice though; if it interests you, do it! A background in solid state electronics would, for example, be valuable if you want to work in improving the nanoscale transistors (making them smaller or better) at the cutting edge of research.

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4
    Also consider whether you'd like a research position, maybe more scarce and likely requiring a PHD, or engineering type applications and design, likely not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook