Solid state switch vs. MOSFET

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I've been hearing people talk about using solid state switches/relays as replacements for relays on boards and I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between a solid state relay and something like a MOSFET or transistor. Why not just use one of those?

Thanks,
Jason O

Answers and Replies

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A true solid state relay is able to pass AC and offers very good isolation between the control signal and the actual switch. A single MOSFET or BJT cannot offer this.

but two back to back can.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
but two back to back can.
Reread my post. This will not accomplish isolation.

what about a triac with a photodiode on the gate.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah I suppose, I've never looked into it. The original argument was:

Hi, I've been hearing people talk about using solid state switches/relays as replacements for relays on boards and I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between a solid state relay and something like a MOSFET or transistor. Why not just use one of those?
So I'm going to stick with that. A triac with a photodiode on the gate sounds alot like a solid state relay which the OP was questioning the replacement of with a single transistor. A triac is basically 2 SCRs back to back. An SCR is basically 2 transistors arranged in a fashion so they latch on until current is interupted. To provide the isolation needed it takes an opto-coupler which is usually 2 devices, but usually the output is 2 transistors in darlington configuration. So, lets count up the devices. One triac consists of 4 transistors, 2 more transisors for the photo darlington pair, and an LED. That's 7 individual components. Quite a stretch from the OPs idea of a single part.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on that guys.