Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state switch vs. MOSFET

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    Hi, I've been hearing people talk about using solid state switches/relays as replacements for relays on boards and I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between a solid state relay and something like a MOSFET or transistor. Why not just use one of those?

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2
    A true solid state relay is able to pass AC and offers very good isolation between the control signal and the actual switch. A single MOSFET or BJT cannot offer this.

4. Mar 27, 2007 #3
    but two back to back can.

5. Mar 27, 2007 #4
    Reread my post. This will not accomplish isolation.

6. Mar 27, 2007 #5
    what about a triac with a photodiode on the gate.

7. Mar 27, 2007 #6
    Yeah I suppose, I've never looked into it. The original argument was:

So I'm going to stick with that. A triac with a photodiode on the gate sounds alot like a solid state relay which the OP was questioning the replacement of with a single transistor. A triac is basically 2 SCRs back to back. An SCR is basically 2 transistors arranged in a fashion so they latch on until current is interupted. To provide the isolation needed it takes an opto-coupler which is usually 2 devices, but usually the output is 2 transistors in darlington configuration. So, lets count up the devices. One triac consists of 4 transistors, 2 more transisors for the photo darlington pair, and an LED. That's 7 individual components. Quite a stretch from the OPs idea of a single part.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  8. Mar 28, 2007 #7
    Thanks for the clarification on that guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?