Finding a Substitute Textbook for Advanced Solid State Course

In summary, students taking advanced solid state courses may find the recommended textbook, Marder's "Condensed Matter Physics," to be confusing and difficult to absorb. They are looking for a substitute textbook that explains concepts in a simpler and more detailed manner, including chapters on band structure calculation techniques and semiclassical transport theory. Some suggested alternatives include Ashcroft and Mermin's "Solid State Physics," Harrison's "Intro to Solid State Physics," and Zz.Kireev's book on semiconductor physics. However, the best resource for understanding the Boltzmann equation and semiclassical transport may be "Fundamentals of the Theory of Metals" by A. A. Abrikosov. Callaway's "Band Structure Calculations" and Slater's 4
argonurbawono
i am taking advanced solid state course, and my professor use marder textbook, and his lecture notes are just like complete copy of marder's textbook.

i myself find marder's book very confusing, even things which i already understand are presented in complicated way. i feel i cannot absorb anything from it. especially the exercises, which become tutorial assessments, are very very difficult.

is there a good substitute to marder textbook? a book that explain thing in simpler ways, more gradual, detail, and nearly covering as much as marder.

for example i need chapters on band structure calculation technique in marder (OPW, LCAO, LAPW, LMTO) and transport theory (semiclassical).

i want to see a lot of examples. i am a slow learner.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as i know, Ashley & Mermin and Kittel provide (not only) the basics.

Daniel.

ASHCROFT and Mermin would be a text to get. It is a more advanced text than Kittel.

If you are also covering semiclassical transport, then get Harrison's Intro to Solid State Physics text. It has, to me, the best coverage of Boltzmann transport equation. Besides, it's a Dover book, so it's cheap!

Zz.

Kireev's book on Seminconductor physics (i hope it's translated into English) has the best treatmeant on semiclassical transport theory i know of.

Daniel.

For the introductory solid state stuff then I would look at Ashcroft and Mermin.

There is another book which is quite good if you want to know about the Boltzmann equation and semi-classical transport which is "Fundamentals of the theory of metals" by A. A. Abrikosov. I wouldn't reccomend it as an introductory book to solid state physics, but for Boltzmann equation transport it's really very good. There isn't a single Russian in our department who doesn't try to steal your copy.

By the way, ZapperZ, what is the plot that you have in your avatar?

Last edited:
jpr0 said:
There is another book which is quite good if you want to know about the Boltzmann equation and semi-classical transport which is "Fundamentals of the theory of metals" by A. A. Abrikosov. I wouldn't reccomend it as an introductory book to solid state physics, but for Boltzmann equation transport it's really very good. There isn't a single Russian in our department who doesn't try to steal your copy.

Oooh.. next time I bump into Alex, I will let him know that! He will be thrilled. Unfortunately, he is not in the best of health right now. :(

By the way, ZapperZ, what is the plot that you have in your avatar?

It is a 2D angle-resolved photoemission spectrum on overdoped Bi2212 high-Tc superconductor along the nodal direction of the crytal in momentum space. The horizontal axis is energy, while the vertical axis is the momentum, so you have the E vs k dispersion curve. As of today, it is still the most overdoped Bi2212 that has ever been looked at (Tc~51K) using ARPES. We published this in PRL a few years ago.

Zz.

Seegers Semiconductor book is very good to learn from, decent job on classical transport theory. It is a little lacking on the multitude of band structure methods out there, but I have not seen the latest edition.

Yu and Cardona has a couple of chapters on band structure calcs, but it is not for the beginner.

As for a simple intro to band structure calc, I can not remember any text that is easy to read and learn from. Callaway's band structure book isn't too bad, although it is old and I am sure out of print, you need a fair amount of group theory to get into it very far. Check out Slaters' 4-volume series on solids, at the time they were written they would have been the best place to see all the band structure calcuations in one place.

ZapperZ said:
Oooh.. next time I bump into Alex, I will let him know that! He will be thrilled. Unfortunately, he is not in the best of health right now. :(

It is a 2D angle-resolved photoemission spectrum on overdoped Bi2212 high-Tc superconductor along the nodal direction of the crytal in momentum space. The horizontal axis is energy, while the vertical axis is the momentum, so you have the E vs k dispersion curve. As of today, it is still the most overdoped Bi2212 that has ever been looked at (Tc~51K) using ARPES. We published this in PRL a few years ago.

Zz.

I didn't realize you were in the same department! I hope he gets well soon.

jpr0 said:
I didn't realize you were in the same department! I hope he gets well soon.

I'm not, just at the same facility. I used to be in the same division.

Zz.

1. How do I know which textbook is suitable for an advanced solid state course?

The best way to determine if a textbook is suitable for an advanced solid state course is to look at its content and level of difficulty. Make sure the textbook covers all the necessary topics and is at an appropriate level for your course.

2. What criteria should I consider when choosing a substitute textbook?

Some important criteria to consider when choosing a substitute textbook for an advanced solid state course include the author's credentials, the textbook's reputation, its level of difficulty, and its coverage of relevant topics.

3. Can I use a textbook from a different subject for my advanced solid state course?

It is not recommended to use a textbook from a different subject for an advanced solid state course. The content and level of difficulty may not align with the course's requirements, and it may not cover all the necessary topics.

4. Are there any resources that can help me find a substitute textbook?

Yes, there are several resources that can help you find a substitute textbook for an advanced solid state course. These include online bookstores, academic databases, and recommendations from colleagues or professors.

5. Can I use multiple textbooks for my advanced solid state course?

It is possible to use multiple textbooks for an advanced solid state course, but it is important to ensure that they cover all the necessary topics and do not overlap too much. It may also be helpful to provide students with a recommended textbook for further reading or reference.