1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solids of Revolution Problem

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    1. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the x-axis and one arch of the cycloid x=theta-sin(theta), y=1-cos(theta) around the x-axis.

2. hint:dV=(pi)y^2 dx

3. So far I have been unable to solve for theta so that I can form a relationship between the two equations. I don't believe that solving the x= equation for theta can be done, and the integral that I come up with if I solve the y= equation for theta and substitute it into the x= equation is so unwieldy that I don't believe it is the right one. Besides, the shape is revolving around the x-axis, so I should have a y= equation in order to proceed with solving this problem in the way that I was taught. Any help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

dV= (pi)y^2 dx. y= 1- cos(theta) and, since x= theta- sin(theta), dx= [1- cos(theta)]dtheta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?