Finding the Volume of a Whisky Glass: Which Method Results in More Whisky?

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a region rotated around the y-axis and a question about the volume of liquid in a non-uniform whisky glass. The volume of the region is calculated using integration and the discussion then focuses on solving the question about the volume of liquid in the glass using mathematical methods. Ultimately, the correct volume is determined and the solution is obtained through subtracting the volume of the first half from the sum of the first and second halves.
lionely

Homework Statement

o6xrn4.jpg

The region R shown in Fig. 1 is bounded by the line y=8(x-2), the axes, and the line y=h. Find by integration the volume formed when R is rotated through 360° about the y axis(see Fig. 2)

A whisky glass has the shape indicated in Fig 2 where the units are centimetres. A whisky taster
holds the glass upright and pours in whisky to a depth of 2cm. He then adds water to a further depth of 2cm. Show that if he had poured in the water first and then the whisky, each to a depth of 2cm the glass would have contained approximately 25% more whisky than by the first method.

The attempt at a solution

For the volume generated I got 55∏/6 cubic units.

It's the 2nd part of the question that is puzzling me.
Well I know realize that the cup is not uniform so.. there would be more whiskey in the 2nd method. But how do I show this mathematically?

HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

o6xrn4.jpg

The region R shown in Fig. 1 is bounded by the line y=8(x-2), the axes, and the line y=h. Find by integration the volume formed when R is rotated through 360° about the y axis(see Fig. 2)

A whisky glass has the shape indicated in Fig 2 where the units are centimetres. A whisky taster
holds the glass upright and pours in whisky to a depth of 2cm. He then adds water to a further depth of 2cm. Show that if he had poured in the water first and then the whisky, each to a depth of 2cm the glass would have contained approximately 25% more whisky than by the first method. The attempt at a solution

For the volume generated I got 55∏/6 cubic units.

It's the 2nd part of the question that is puzzling me.
Well I know realize that the cup is not uniform so.. there would be more whiskey in the 2nd method. But how do I show this mathematically?

HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

I'm confused as to how the volume you got for the first part doesn't depend on h. What did you use for h? For the second part you just need to compute the volumes of the two halves.

Last edited:
to get the volume I did this

∏∫x2δy (from 0 to 2)

= ∏[ y3/48 + y2/4 + 4y]

Also how would I calculate the volumes of the halves?

Would I call the top of the liquids y=2 and y=4 for each liquid?

since 4cm of liquid was added? hmm and integrate x^2 = (y^2/8 + 2)

for the certain limits?

Check your volume. Firstly, you are integrating with respect to y, but you are using x=0 and x=2 as bounds. You want to convert these into y-values (Hint: The fact that your answer did not include an h when it obviously should affect your answer tells you that something is wrong). Also check your algebra. If y=8(x-2), then x= y/8+2 and x^2=y^2/64+y/2+4. You integrated the last two terms correctly, but ∫y^2/64 dy=y^3/(64*3) ≠ y^3/48

Wow sorry, I get (h^3 + 48h^2 + 768h)/192 Pi cubic units

lionely said:
Wow sorry, I get (h^3 + 48h^2 + 768h)/192 Pi cubic units

That's right. If you evaluate that at h=2 you get the volume of the first half. h=4 gives you the sum of the first half and the second half. So subtract to get the volume of the second half.

OHHHHHHH I see now because h wasn't in my volume , it made it SEEM SO CONFUSING ! When this question is somewhat easy... thank you guys! I feel soo dumb for using the x's as bounds why it was with respect to y :( .

1. What is a solid of revolution problem?

A solid of revolution problem involves finding the volume, surface area, or other properties of a three-dimensional object formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This type of problem is commonly encountered in calculus and physics.

2. What are some common examples of solids of revolution?

Some common examples include spheres, cylinders, cones, and tori (donuts). These shapes can be formed by rotating a circle, rectangle, or other simple shape around a given axis.

3. How do you approach solving a solid of revolution problem?

The approach to solving a solid of revolution problem typically involves using integrals to find the volume or surface area of the object. This requires knowledge of calculus and understanding of the properties of the specific shape being rotated.

4. What are some real-world applications of solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution have many practical applications, such as in manufacturing, engineering, and architecture. For example, a cylindrical water tank, a conical roof, and a spherical dome are all examples of real-world objects that can be described as solids of revolution.

5. What are some challenges or limitations when solving solids of revolution problems?

One challenge when solving solids of revolution problems is determining the correct limits of integration, which may require advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, some shapes may have irregular or complex boundaries, making it more difficult to calculate the volume or surface area accurately.