Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SolidWorks Help

Tags:
  1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    Basically, I am trying to cut out a vent for a fan. The vent feature of SW requires the vent to be on a single face, and in this case it is not. The bottom half of the case has a mounting flange (highlighted green in attached image), so I cannot place the vent where I need to. The model was imported from a .igs file and I cannot simply "delete" the feature. How can I remove the highlighted portion and extend the face across the deleted portion to create a contiguous face to cut the vent?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks to me like you'll have to do a sketch and then extrude-cut.

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3

a little confused...A sketch of what? Can you be more descriptive?

Thanks.

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4
    If you cant delete that part, "cut(subtract)" that part using a similar shape, thats what he meant.

6. Jul 16, 2008 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my experience, IGES files are very difficult to modify with new features (removing or adding). I would first see if you can get the model in a native format to Solidowrks, or at least a parasolid.

Basically, you have to "cut" the mounting flange off by sketching on a plane that is perpandicular to it, and create an outline that follows what you want to cut off. I'm not 100% this operation can be preformed on an IGES model however...

7. Jul 16, 2008 #6

I have access to SolidEdge, would it be easier to make the adjustments in that enviroment?

8. Jul 16, 2008 #7

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solidworks isn't the problem, IGES files are. If after you try you are unable to remove the flange with an extrude-subtract operation (or other method), I would recommend getting the model in another format.

9. Jul 16, 2008 #8
    I now have DWG/DXF drawings of the assembly, are their easier solutions now? I don't quite follow you on your solution (and to be honest would need a click by click walkthrough). This whole ordeal has been my first time using SW and without any sort of drafting knowledge I am lost to say the least. Thank you for your patience.

10. Jul 16, 2008 #9

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I don't have Solidworks so I can't help you with a click-by-click tutorial (since you have no modeling experience, I'm not sure it would help much anyway). Basically, you'll either need to find someone who knows enough about solid modeling and drafting to do it, or you'll need to learn the basics of solid modeling to do it yourself. While not very difficult (Solidworks is quite easy to learn IMO) it will take a certain type of thought process which seems to be escaping you thus far...

Teaching you how to model and draft is imposible through a forum, I'd suggest studying on-line Solidworks tutorials, and consider buying a book at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.

Looks like a useful website:
    http://www.3dcadtips.com/go.php?topic=2&cat=772

11. Oct 7, 2008 #10
    I have a problem when it comes to drawing springs. I've grasped the basic springs. I'm trying to create a closed end coil but it's not right. I'm basically adding another coil with a smaller pitch but theres no smooth transition in the wire. looks broken. I have solid works 2000. does anyone have any suggestions?

12. Oct 9, 2008 #11

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you post a picture that illustrates the problem you're having?

13. Oct 10, 2008 #12
    I think I've found the answer in another thread. Apparently you cannot do the varying pitch springs with the s/w 2000 edition. You can with 2006 though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?