What should I do if I encounter an error message during Solidworks installation?

In summary, your computer is not the university's or department's, and you need an admin account to install the software.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Is that your computer or the university's or department's computer? If the latter, perhaps you have a restricted user account rather than an administrator account. I believe an admin account is necessary in order to install the software, otherwise an admin must set the permissions.

By student account, I'm guessing it's a Win7 user or guest account with limited permissions.

Talk to the university's or department's IT person(s).

It sounds like you are trying to install on a uni computer.

The problem is with your account rights (computer account).

You won't have the privileges most likely to change what you need to.

My advice is to contact your IT support for your university and tell them the exact message you get and they will either probably a) update the privileges so you can install it or b) Install the program for you on your profile and your login script will be updated so that when you log in you will see the program and can use it.

If this is on a computer at your uni see the above.

If its on your own computer, then go to the folder its talking about, click on properties and make sure all the accounts have "write" access. In other words open up my computer, go to the folder, write click on folder, go to properties, go to security, and make sure all the users (especially Administrator and SYSTEM) have write properties allowed.

Hopefully this helps you.

I'm trying to install it in my computer, not the college's. The college already have the solidworks installed. Why should I be doing their work for them?

Trying to do what you told me chiro...sec

You have an older version of windows than me.

Look into advanced or in sharing. It has to be in one of those. As soon as you see things with security and privileges, that's what you need to update.

I genuinely see nothing that even resembles security. I tried removing the "Read-only" tab but it didn't help.

I don't know why it gave me an error to begin with since I always work as admin with max privileges with my laptop

And I have XP pro (IIRC it's pro and not home if it matters)

Be careful about what you show on the screen post.

If it's read-only, one needs to change the permission. I think all one needs to click the read-only box off, so that it allows read-write.

If that doesn't work, look under Advanced.

It looks to me that you need to make that directory writable, i.e. uncheck Read Only. Since you're running a personal copy of Windows XP, your account should have administrator privileges, which would be the other concern. I would go ahead and make sure the entire "C:\SolidWorks Admin" directory is writable.

To access the advanced security permissions for directories in Windows XP, follow this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874. By default, Windows XP uses something called "Simple file Sharing", which is a watered down version of the actual NT access control features.

Last edited:
Hi Fp! :smile:

It seems unlikely that you wouldn't be able to write in the directory, since you were apparently able to create the directories in the first place.
The fact that you could create the directories also shows that you have admin privilege (assuming you have not fiddled with permissions).

Looking at the directory name "Solidworks 2011 SP2.0 (2)" suggests that you tried it before already. Did you? Or is there another explanation for the "(2)" in the directory name.
It's probably a good idea to uninstall what you have installed, and afterward delete these directories before trying again.

It's a known issue with Windows XP that the Read only check box on a folder does not work the way you would expect it to (read: it doesn't work). This is not something to be concerned about though.Imho the most likely problem is that your disk is full.
Is it?
It's typical for software to give the wrong error message in such a case. :wink:

After much debugging turns out the problem was is that I installed the 64bit version on my 32bit windows... *smacks forehead*

Thanks though for all the replies!

That would do it. Architecture is important. :wink:

(On another note, I should have noticed the x64 in the installer title and the fact you're using XP, where the x86_64 version is a rarity.)

jhae2.718 said:
That would do it. Architecture is important. :wink:

(On another note, I should have noticed the x64 in the installer title and the fact you're using XP, where the x86_64 version is a rarity.)

I'm glad the error message put us on the right track! (NOT!) :tongue2:

I've seen worse error messages (and, TBH, probably written them myself...). :biggrin:

1. What are the minimum system requirements for installing Solidworks?

The minimum system requirements for Solidworks installation are a 64-bit operating system, a minimum of 16 GB RAM, and at least 20 GB of free disk space. You will also need a graphics card with at least 2 GB of dedicated memory and support for OpenGL 4.5 and above.

2. Can I install Solidworks on a Mac?

No, Solidworks is not compatible with Mac operating systems. It can only be installed on Windows computers.

3. Do I need an internet connection to install Solidworks?

Yes, an internet connection is required for the initial installation and activation of Solidworks. However, you can use the offline activation option if you do not have a stable internet connection.

4. How do I transfer my Solidworks license to a new computer?

To transfer your Solidworks license to a new computer, you will need to deactivate the license on your current computer and then activate it on the new one. You can do this through the Solidworks License Manager, which can be accessed from the Windows Start menu.

5. Can I customize my Solidworks installation to only include certain features?

Yes, during the installation process, you will have the option to choose which features and components you want to install. You can also customize your installation at any time by going to the Control Panel and selecting "Change" for the Solidworks program.