Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor?

• Thread starter BasketDaN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solidworks
In summary, the conversation discusses the preferred program for 3D computer drawing. While the options mentioned are SolidWorks and Pro Engineer, the participants also mention other programs such as Inventor and express their personal preferences. Factors such as ease of use and cost are also considered. It is suggested that SolidWorks may be a better option due to its professional features and support.
BasketDaN
Which is the preferred program? Or is there a better option than those two for 3D computer drawing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Out of the two, my personal choice would be SolidWorks.

For a more comprehensive program, I might suggest Pro Engineer, although it's more difficult to learn.

Likewise, have liked Solidworks far more ... more professional for the stuff I do.

I used Inventor for a while. It was a decent program (a huge leap better than the previous Mechanical Desktop). It all depends on what you need to do. Inventor has a really easy learning curve and handles large assemblies pretty well also. I can't remember Inventor's importing abilities to file types, like lGES, for other programs like FEA packages if you need that functionality. I think the cost for Inventor may be a bit lower than Solidworks too. However, I am not a huge fan of Autodesk. Their version of support is pathetic.

I would lean towards Solidworks if those are your two options. Again, it all depends on what YOU have to do with it. If you are doing basic things and not huge assemblies, etc... I would say let price and ease of use be your guide. Most lower end programs seem to be grabbing features of each other so they are all starting to look alike.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

What is the difference between Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor?

Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor are both computer-aided design (CAD) software programs used for creating 3D models. While they both have similar functions and capabilities, there are a few key differences between them:

• Interface: Solidworks has a more user-friendly interface, making it easier for beginners to learn. Autodesk Inventor has a more complex interface, but offers more advanced tools.
  • File compatibility: Solidworks uses a proprietary file format (.sldprt) while Autodesk Inventor uses a more widely accepted .ipt format. This can affect compatibility with other software programs.
  • Features: Both programs offer similar features, but Solidworks has a wider range of options for creating complex shapes and surfaces.
  • Pricing: Solidworks is generally more expensive than Autodesk Inventor, but may offer more value for advanced users.
  • Industry use: Solidworks is more commonly used in industries such as mechanical engineering and product design, while Autodesk Inventor is often used in industries such as architecture and construction.

Which software is better for beginners, Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor?

Both Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor offer a range of tools and features that are suitable for beginners. However, Solidworks may be a better option for those who are new to CAD software, as it has a more user-friendly interface and is generally easier to learn.

Can Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor be used together?

While Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor use different file formats, they can still be used together. Files can be converted between the two programs using third-party software, or they can be imported and exported as standard file formats such as .STL or .STEP.

Which software is better for creating complex 3D models?

Both Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor have advanced tools and features that allow users to create complex 3D models. However, Solidworks may offer more options and flexibility for creating intricate shapes and surfaces.

Is there a free version of Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor?

Neither Solidworks nor Autodesk Inventor offer a completely free version of their software. However, there are student versions available for educational use, and both companies offer free trials for their software. Additionally, there are other free CAD software programs available that may be suitable for basic 3D modeling needs.