Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor?

Tags:
  1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    Which is the preferred program? Or is there a better option than those two for 3D computer drawing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Out of the two, my personal choice would be SolidWorks.

For a more comprehensive program, I might suggest Pro Engineer, although it's more difficult to learn.

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Likewise, have liked Solidworks far more ... more professional for the stuff I do.

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I used Inventor for a while. It was a decent program (a huge leap better than the previous Mechanical Desktop). It all depends on what you need to do. Inventor has a really easy learning curve and handles large assemblies pretty well also. I can't remember Inventor's importing abilities to file types, like lGES, for other programs like FEA packages if you need that functionality. I think the cost for Inventor may be a bit lower than Solidworks too. However, I am not a huge fan of Autodesk. Their version of support is pathetic.

I would lean towards Solidworks if those are your two options. Again, it all depends on what YOU have to do with it. If you are doing basic things and not huge assemblies, etc... I would say let price and ease of use be your guide. Most lower end programs seem to be grabbing features of each other so they are all starting to look alike.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    Thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?