Solitary wave motive/reason? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

somasimple

SomaSimpler
Gold Member
Hi,

I'm not really sure the thread fits this forum but I'm not a mathemacian, too. o:)

I posted below a picture of a soliton (solitary wave) and I have some questions about it.
We are seeing two snapshots taken at time t1 and t2.
If t2=t1+a with a, small enough?

Can we say that fb-fa equals a kind like of derivative of f (i.e. f')?
can we say that this difference is the motive/reason of the soliton since fa + (fb-fa) = fb?

Attachments

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
If I understand your picture correctly, fa is the height of the wave at a given time, t1, and position,x1, and fb is the height of the wave at a later time, t2, and positon,x2, such that x1-ct1= x2- ct2; in other words, "moving with the wave". Given that, fb-fa= 0. I have no idea what you might mean by "motive/reason" of a soliton.

somasimple

SomaSimpler
Gold Member
Hi,

The graph/picture shows two aspects of the same soliton at t1 and t2.
fa is the "curve" at t1 and fb is the curve at t2.

I tried with discrete values (the y values of the curves fa and fb) and I found that substracting fb-fa gives a motive (another curve) that looks like the derivative of fa or fb.
If I add this motive curve values to fa then I obtain fb?
(It seems to work).

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
If fa and fb are curves, then what do you mean by "fb-fa"? I don't know how to subtract curves! Do you mean that fb is a function of x, fb(x)= f(x,b) where f(x,t) is the height of the curve at t= b? In that case, fb- fa= f(x,b)- f(x,a) and then
[tex]lim_{a\rightarrow b}\frac{fb-fa}{b-a}[/tex]
is the partial derivative of f with respect to t.

I still don't know what a "motive curve" is! I suspect you are translating from some language I don't speak.

somasimple

SomaSimpler
Gold Member
Hi,

Sorry for my poor maths language and unfortunately I'm French that complicates our affair.

We could say that fa and fb are the same shape (motive/reason) of the travelling wave taken at diffrent time t1 and t2.
The shape has of course an equation that I do not know but I have discrete values. With these values I can substract 2 digitized curves that gives a third set of values that looks like the derivative of the equation of the shape?

This third set has also an equation but if I consider only the set I have, I can reproduce fb (shape) simply adding the values of fa with the values I got with my previous computation.

Hope it is a bit clearer?

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving