Understanding Solitary Waves: Investigating the Motive Behind Their Formation

• Thread starter somasimple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the picture shows a soliton (solitary wave), and the questions are about the motive (another curve) that is produced when you subtract the height of the wave at two diffrent times. The equation for the shape is unknown, but it can be reproduced by adding the height of the wave at one time to the height of the wave at another time.
somasimple
Gold Member
Hi,

I'm not really sure the thread fits this forum but I'm not a mathemacian, too. o:)

I posted below a picture of a soliton (solitary wave) and I have some questions about it.
We are seeing two snapshots taken at time t1 and t2.
If t2=t1+a with a, small enough?

Can we say that fb-fa equals a kind like of derivative of f (i.e. f')?
can we say that this difference is the motive/reason of the soliton since fa + (fb-fa) = fb?

Attachments

• soliton_0111.gif
    soliton_0111.gif
    10 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your picture correctly, fa is the height of the wave at a given time, t1, and position,x1, and fb is the height of the wave at a later time, t2, and positon,x2, such that x1-ct1= x2- ct2; in other words, "moving with the wave". Given that, fb-fa= 0. I have no idea what you might mean by "motive/reason" of a soliton.

Hi,

The graph/picture shows two aspects of the same soliton at t1 and t2.
fa is the "curve" at t1 and fb is the curve at t2.

I tried with discrete values (the y values of the curves fa and fb) and I found that substracting fb-fa gives a motive (another curve) that looks like the derivative of fa or fb.
If I add this motive curve values to fa then I obtain fb?
(It seems to work).

If fa and fb are curves, then what do you mean by "fb-fa"? I don't know how to subtract curves! Do you mean that fb is a function of x, fb(x)= f(x,b) where f(x,t) is the height of the curve at t= b? In that case, fb- fa= f(x,b)- f(x,a) and then
[tex]lim_{a\rightarrow b}\frac{fb-fa}{b-a}[/tex]
is the partial derivative of f with respect to t.

I still don't know what a "motive curve" is! I suspect you are translating from some language I don't speak.

Hi,

Sorry for my poor maths language and unfortunately I'm French that complicates our affair.

We could say that fa and fb are the same shape (motive/reason) of the traveling wave taken at diffrent time t1 and t2.
The shape has of course an equation that I do not know but I have discrete values. With these values I can substract 2 digitized curves that gives a third set of values that looks like the derivative of the equation of the shape?

This third set has also an equation but if I consider only the set I have, I can reproduce fb (shape) simply adding the values of fa with the values I got with my previous computation.

Hope it is a bit clearer?

1. What is a solitary wave?

A solitary wave, also known as a soliton, is a localized wave disturbance that maintains its shape and speed as it travels through a medium. Unlike other types of waves, solitary waves do not disperse or spread out.

2. What causes solitary waves?

Solitary waves can be caused by a variety of factors, including nonlinear interactions between waves, variations in the medium's density or pressure, and disturbances in the medium's surface or boundaries.

3. How do solitary waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike most waves, solitary waves do not disperse or dissipate as they travel through a medium. They also maintain a constant shape and speed, making them highly stable and predictable.

4. What are some real-world applications of solitary waves?

Solitary waves have a variety of practical applications, including in oceanography, where they can be used to model and predict tsunamis. They are also used in optical fibers for long-distance communication and in the study of fluid dynamics and nonlinear systems.

5. How do scientists study and analyze solitary waves?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical models, laboratory experiments, and field observations to study solitary waves. They also use advanced technologies such as remote sensing and computer simulations to analyze the behavior and properties of solitary waves in different environments.