Succeeding in Physics with Asperger's: A College Course and Beyond

• Thread starter arevolutionist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary: If you can't handle socializing then it may be best to pursue a career in physics that does not require interacting with people.
arevolutionist
Physics is the subject of the career I wish to pursue. Though, I have asperger's which causes many social problems for me. I took 1 course in college to see if I can handle the socialization. My completion was rewarded with an A as my grade. The social aspects were extremely difficult. I am curious if I pursue my studies in solitude separate from a college, would there exist any chance of a career once I fix my social problems? :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you fix a mental illness? you can only depress it.

arevolutionist said:
Physics is the subject of the career I wish to pursue. Though, I have asperger's which causes many social problems for me. I took 1 course in college to see if I can handle the socialization. My completion was rewarded with an A as my grade. The social aspects were extremely difficult. I am curious if I pursue my studies in solitude separate from a college, would there exist any chance of a career once I fix my social problems? :shy:

It is extremely unlikely that you could find a physics research job without obtaining a university degree. If you want to pursue a career in physics you need to stay in school.

I don't know the particulars of your case, but my guess would be that removing yourself from the social situations in university won't help you learn to cope with people better. Also, to be a physicist it is essential that you can work with other people.

loop quantum gravity said:
How can you fix a mental illness? you can only depress it.

And sometimes working with others just means ignoring the people who are *******s.

arevolutionist said:

Science is increasingly becoming a social discipline- meaning social interactions are required to perform science.

Many scientists have poor social skills. That does not excuse them from functioning within a group setting.

1. What is Asperger's Syndrome?

Asperger's Syndrome is a developmental disorder that falls on the autism spectrum. It is characterized by difficulties with social interaction, repetitive behaviors, and restrictive interests. Individuals with Asperger's may have challenges with communication and may have a strong focus on specific topics or activities.

2. How can someone with Asperger's succeed in a college physics course?

Individuals with Asperger's can succeed in a college physics course by utilizing their strengths, such as their ability to focus and their attention to detail. They may also benefit from developing strong organizational and time management skills, seeking support from professors and resources on campus, and finding a study group or partner to help with understanding concepts and completing assignments.

3. Are there any accommodations available for students with Asperger's in a physics course?

Yes, there are accommodations available for students with Asperger's in a physics course. Some common accommodations may include extended time on exams, preferential seating, and the use of assistive technology. It is important for students to communicate their needs with their professors and the disability services office at their college.

4. Can students with Asperger's pursue a career in physics?

Yes, students with Asperger's can pursue a career in physics. Many individuals with Asperger's have a strong interest and aptitude for science and math, making a career in physics a great fit. It may be helpful to seek support from a mentor or career counselor to navigate the job search process and find a work environment that is conducive to their needs.

5. How can I support a student with Asperger's in a physics course?

Some ways to support a student with Asperger's in a physics course include providing clear and direct instructions, being patient and understanding, and offering extra help or resources when needed. It is also important to create an inclusive and supportive classroom environment where the student feels comfortable asking for help or accommodations if needed.