1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solitude Studies

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    Physics is the subject of the career I wish to pursue. Though, I have asperger's which causes many social problems for me. I took 1 course in college to see if I can handle the socialization. My completion was rewarded with an A as my grade. The social aspects were extremely difficult. I am curious if I pursue my studies in solitude separate from a college, would there exist any chance of a career once I fix my social problems? :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    How can you fix a mental illness? you can only depress it.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    It is extremely unlikely that you could find a physics research job without obtaining a university degree. If you want to pursue a career in physics you need to stay in school.

I don't know the particulars of your case, but my guess would be that removing yourself from the social situations in university won't help you learn to cope with people better. Also, to be a physicist it is essential that you can work with other people.

And sometimes working with others just means ignoring the people who are *******s.

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Science is increasingly becoming a social discipline- meaning social interactions are required to perform science.

Many scientists have poor social skills. That does not excuse them from functioning within a group setting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?