Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility & acids

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    what does [HIn] and [In] stand for? what are the importance of them? are they the concentrations of H and OH? or pH and pOH?

another Q: the compound Ag2S has solubility of 1.3 * 10^-4M at 25 degrees celsius. what is the ksp? i tried using the ICE table, but the answer i got was wrong. the correct answer is 8.8 * 10^-12 but i have no idea how to get that answer..

also, would u look at the Ka of an acid to find the highest pH value? the Q asks: the 1.0M acidic solution with highest pH value is...
    -H3BO3 << thats the correct answer, but i thought it would be HNO3 as it has a higher Ka value and is a stronger pH..

-how does pH relate to Ka, temperature and the strength of an acid?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

start out by writing the ksp equation for us, that way you get to show some work

H3BO3 has three protons, consider ka1, ka2, ka3

this is a pretty general question you should be able to find explicit answers by reading your text.
  4. Aug 8, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

In pH context In usually stands for Indicator - and HIn is its protonated form. Both forms differ in color (that's why indicator is... indicator).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?