What is the correct concentration of Cl- in various aqueous solutions?

In summary, the correct answer for the aqueous solution with a Cl– concentration of 2 m at 25°C is D. This is because HgCl2 has poor water solubility and will not achieve a 2 m Cl– solution in either 1 kg or 0.5 kg of water, eliminating choices A and B. NH4Cl, on the other hand, is water soluble and has a molecular weight of 53 g/mol. Therefore, choice C results in a 1 m NH4Cl (1 m Cl–) solution while choice D results in a 2 m NH4Cl (2 m Cl–) solution. The values used are rounded down, so the exact concentration calculated may not be
silversurf

Homework Statement

Which of the following aqueous solutions has a Cl– concentration of 2 m at 25°C?
A.

271 g of HgCl2 in 55 mol of H2O
B.

271 g of HgCl2 in 22.5 mol of H2O
C.

53 g of NH4Cl in 55 mol of H2O
D.

53 g of NH4Cl in 22.5 mol of H2O.

Correct Answer
Explanation:
D. Pure water has a concentration of 55 M and density of 1 kg/L. 55 moles of water represent 1 L (1 kg) and 22.5 moles of water represent 0.5 L (0.5 kg). HgCl2 demonstrates poor water solubility and will dissociate little. Therefore, 1 mol of HgCl2 placed in either water 1 kg or 0.5 kg of water will not achieve a 2 m Cl– solution, eliminating choices A and B. NH4Cl is water soluble and has a molecular weight of 53 g/mol. Choice C is a 1 m NH4Cl (1 m Cl–) solution and Choice D is a 2 m NH4Cl (2 m Cl–) solution.

Homework Equations

No equation. Conceptual

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that we are looking for the answer that has a concentration of 2 M for chlorine and I understand that A and B are wrong because that compound is insoluble in water but what I don't understand is why we get a 2 molar solution when we add it to half a liter of water vs getting a 1 molar solution when we add it to 1 liter of water

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of molar concentration?

Have you tried to calculate concentrations for C and D?

Likes 1 person
Oh yes I understand now. I got confused because I thought we had to factor in temperature somehow. But yes I see how you get a two molar concentration and a 1 molar concentration when you solve for moles and liters and solve for molarity. Thanks.

Is that molar or molal?

Likes 1 person
Good point.

Not that it changes much, as the values used are rounded down, so the exact concentration that can be calculated is not exactly 2 in neither (l/r) case, just close to 2.

Likes 1 person

1. What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in another substance, known as the solvent, to form a homogeneous mixture called a solution.

2. How is solubility measured?

Solubility is typically measured in units of mass per volume, such as grams per liter (g/L) or moles per liter (mol/L). It can also be expressed as a percentage, where the mass of the solute is divided by the total mass of the solution and multiplied by 100.

3. What factors affect solubility?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the chemical nature of the solute and solvent. Generally, increasing temperature and pressure can increase solubility, while the chemical properties of the substances involved can either increase or decrease solubility.

4. How is solubility different from miscibility?

Solubility refers specifically to the ability of a solute to dissolve in a solvent to form a solution. Miscibility, on the other hand, refers to the ability of two substances to mix and form a homogeneous solution without the need for a solvent. Miscibility is typically used to describe liquids, while solubility can apply to solids, liquids, and gases.

5. How can I calculate solubility?

Solubility can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as using solubility curves, equations, or experimental data. The specific method used will depend on the nature of the substances involved and the available data. It is important to note that solubility is not a constant value and can vary depending on the conditions, so calculations may not always be accurate.