1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility homework question

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following aqueous solutions has a Cl– concentration of 2 m at 25°C?
    A.

271 g of HgCl2 in 55 mol of H2O
    B.

271 g of HgCl2 in 22.5 mol of H2O
    C.

53 g of NH4Cl in 55 mol of H2O
    D.

53 g of NH4Cl in 22.5 mol of H2O.

Correct Answer
    Explanation:
    D. Pure water has a concentration of 55 M and density of 1 kg/L. 55 moles of water represent 1 L (1 kg) and 22.5 moles of water represent 0.5 L (0.5 kg). HgCl2 demonstrates poor water solubility and will dissociate little. Therefore, 1 mol of HgCl2 placed in either water 1 kg or 0.5 kg of water will not achieve a 2 m Cl– solution, eliminating choices A and B. NH4Cl is water soluble and has a molecular weight of 53 g/mol. Choice C is a 1 m NH4Cl (1 m Cl–) solution and Choice D is a 2 m NH4Cl (2 m Cl–) solution.

2. Relevant equations

No equation. Conceptual

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that we are looking for the answer that has a concentration of 2 M for chlorine and I understand that A and B are wrong because that compound is insoluble in water but what I don't understand is why we get a 2 molar solution when we add it to half a liter of water vs getting a 1 molar solution when we add it to 1 liter of water

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is the definition of molar concentration?

Have you tried to calculate concentrations for C and D?

4. Jul 4, 2013 #3
    Oh yes I understand now. I got confused because I thought we had to factor in temperature somehow. But yes I see how you get a two molar concentration and a 1 molar concentration when you solve for moles and liters and solve for molarity. Thanks.

5. Jul 4, 2013 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that molar or molal?

6. Jul 5, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Good point.

Not that it changes much, as the values used are rounded down, so the exact concentration that can be calculated is not exactly 2 in neither (l/r) case, just close to 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted