Solving Solubility of Unknown Compound in Base

In summary, the manual suggests performing a solubility test of an unknown compound in 5% NaOH. If the compound appears insoluble, the supernatant should be removed and 5% HCl added until neutral. If a precipitate or turbidity occurs, it indicates that the unknown compound is an acid. In this case, the organic acid present in the supernatant will dissolve in the NaOH, but will recombine with the added H+ to form an insoluble compound, resulting in turbidity or precipitation.
HyeLim
In my lab, I'm trying to identify an unknown compound. So I did a solubility test of the unknown into 5% NaOH. According to the manual it said that if it appears insoluble,take the supernatant out and add 5% HCl until neutral. If percipitate or turbidity results, it means the unknown is an acid.
So far I thought this:
HA (unknown) + OH- <-> H20 + A-
I'm assuming the conjugate base was in the supernatant, but I'm not sure.
A- + HCl <-> Cl- + HA
I'm not sure where the percipitate or turbidity is from. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first part, the organic acid present dissolved (why you obtained the very soluble A anion). Later, you added H+ which recombined with the A- giving you back the fairly insoluble organic acid again, the HA. The HA causes this turbidity or precipitation.

Based on the information provided, it seems that you have followed the correct steps to determine the solubility of the unknown compound in base. The precipitate or turbidity that resulted after adding HCl is most likely due to the formation of a new compound, which is the result of a neutralization reaction between the base and the acid form of the unknown compound. This indicates that the unknown compound is indeed an acid.

To further identify the unknown compound, you can perform additional tests such as pH testing, melting point determination, or spectroscopic analysis. These tests can help you narrow down the potential identity of the compound and confirm your initial findings.

Overall, it seems that you have conducted the solubility test correctly and have obtained valuable information about the unknown compound. Keep up the good work and continue to use a systematic approach in your lab experiments.

1. What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent to form a homogeneous solution. In other words, it is a measure of how much of a substance can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent.

2. How do you determine the solubility of an unknown compound in a base?

To determine the solubility of an unknown compound in a base, you can perform a solubility test. This involves adding a small amount of the unknown compound to a base solution and observing if it dissolves or not. If it does dissolve, the compound is considered soluble in that base.

3. What factors influence the solubility of a compound in a base?

The solubility of a compound in a base can be influenced by several factors, including the chemical properties of the compound, the strength of the base, and the temperature of the solution. Additionally, the presence of other substances in the solution can also affect the solubility of the compound.

4. What is the purpose of solving the solubility of an unknown compound in a base?

The purpose of solving the solubility of an unknown compound in a base is to determine the best conditions for dissolving the compound in order to use it in various applications. It can also provide important information about the chemical properties of the compound.

5. Can the solubility of a compound in a base change over time?

Yes, the solubility of a compound in a base can change over time. This can occur due to various factors such as temperature changes, pressure changes, or the addition of other substances to the solution. It is important to regularly test the solubility of a compound in a base in order to accurately determine its properties.