Solubility of an Acid: Separating Basic from Acid Compounds

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving an extraction with an unknown carboxylic sample mixed with ether and aqueous NaOH. The question asks why the unknown compound is soluble in aqueous base but not in acid. The answer is that there are more available proton acceptors in base, allowing for the acid to be ionized and dissolve. The conversation also mentions a process for separating a basic compound from an acid compound, which involves strong base deprotonating the acid and increasing its solubility in water. The salt formed is not soluble in ether but soluble in water, while the carboxylic acid remains soluble in ether.
yungwun22

Homework Statement

I did an experiment where an extraction was done with an unknown carboxylic sample. Some mass of it was mixed with ether and aqueous NaOH then aqueous layer extracted, etc. The question asks though, why is the unknown compound soluble in aq. base not acid. Also, describe a process by which I would be able to separate a basic compound from an acid compound.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only answer I can come up with is that there are more available proton acceptors in base allowing for the acid to be ionized and dissolve, but that answer seems too simple and I don't know if my logic is correct. And for the second question I have no idea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track , the strong base deprotonates the acid therby increasing its solubility in water , if you know this then you should be able to answer the second question.

The salt (anionic carboxylate and the sodium cation) are not soluble in ether; they would be soluble in water. The caboxylic acid, weak acid and mostly protonated, is soluble in ether.

1. What is the definition of solubility?

Solubility is the measure of how much of a substance (known as the solute) can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How does the solubility of an acid differ from that of a basic compound?

The solubility of an acid and a basic compound can differ due to their chemical properties. Acids tend to be more soluble in water, as they can donate hydrogen ions and form bonds with water molecules. Basic compounds, on the other hand, are less soluble in water as they can accept hydrogen ions and form bonds that are not as strong as those in acids.

3. What is the process for separating basic and acidic compounds?

The process for separating basic and acidic compounds involves using a solvent, such as water, to dissolve the mixture. The solubility of the compounds will determine which ones stay in solution and which ones precipitate out. The precipitate can then be separated from the solution using techniques such as filtration or centrifugation.

4. How does temperature affect the solubility of an acid?

In general, the solubility of an acid increases with increasing temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to overcome their intermolecular forces and dissolve in the solvent. However, this may not hold true for all acids, as some may have a negative temperature coefficient of solubility.

5. What other factors can affect the solubility of an acid?

Apart from temperature, the solubility of an acid can also be affected by the pH of the solution, the size and polarity of the acid molecule, and the concentration of the acid. Additionally, the presence of other chemicals in the solvent can also influence the solubility of an acid.