Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility of CS2

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    The picture here is the solubility of CS2 as per the variation of temperature . As per my knowledge when we increase the temperature the ionic product of water increases i.e H+ and OH- ions increases so due to this the ion induced dipole interaction must increase hence the solubility must increase right? If I'm wrong at any point please correct me there and guide me. Thankyou

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes (Kw goes up with temperature), no, it doesn't have to change the solubility of CS2, especially as the amounts of ions are still pretty minute.

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    Ohk if you are right then why its solubility is decreasing

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4

Borek

Probably for the same reason solubility of most inert gases goes down with the temperature (even if CS2 at STP is not a gas).

6. May 2, 2016 #5
    Thats what....I want to know the reason...

7. May 2, 2016 #6

Borek

8. May 2, 2016 #7

James Pelezo

Gold Member

Could CS2 have poor solute-solvent interaction? It is a linear molecule with very weak diametrically opposing dipoles. As temperature increases the evaporation of CS2 would increase leaving a lower concentration remaining in solution. Wikipedia - Physical Properties of CS2 does show a rapid decrease in concentration as a function of temp. Here's the published trend.
    upload_2016-5-2_21-11-25.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted