Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility of Gases

1. Feb 15, 2004 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good information regarding why the solubility of gases decreases with the increase of temperature. The only description I have is a cheap example involving a pop can where as the temperature of the can is increased the kinetic energy increases and gas leaves the solution. This results in the flatness of the pop. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a more description explaination.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

--- excepting He in water, solubility increases with temperature, and maybe some others. How much thermo have you had? Or, how deeply did you feel like digging?

4. Feb 15, 2004 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The evaporation occurs primarily through the top surface of the liquid. The concept should make perfect sense. If you want the quantitative details, you will need to peruse through some advanced books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?