Solubility of p-nitrophenol

Hi!

Can anyone inform me on the solubility of p-nitrophenol? I want to make 1 molar solution of the substance, which is 0.0139g/100 ul (MW is 139). Unfortunately, my solution seems to be supersaturated as the solute is still visible.

Do I need to do anything to my solution to make it soluble?

At Wikipedia, the pKa of p-nitrophenol is 7.08 at 20∘C.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Wikipedia lists solubility as 11.6 g/L (20 °C), almost 10 times lower than you need. Heating up and increasing pH should increase the solubility, whether it will get high enough - hard to say. Question is - does hot alkaline solution fit your needs?

Thanks for your reply.

I diluted it instead to 100ml to make 10mM solution as it was impossible to dilute at 1M.

I'm studying adsorption kinetics of PNP, need to prepare complete soluble of PNP solution, I do add the solid of PNP into deionized distilled water then heating up to 80deg C and stirring at 1000rpm for few hours, but still exists very tiny solid/particle. Is it considered completely soluble?

I think you'll be able to dissolve it if you add excess base.

Question is - does hot alkaline solution fit your needs?
I'm guessing this is s stock solution that will be diluted for final use. (I can't imagine why anyone would directly use a 1M solution.) If so, and as long as it will be diluted into buffer, some excess base shouldn't be a big problem.