1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility problem

1. Jul 28, 2006 #1
    Hi. I'm preparing for a chemistry exam and I have trouble with this former exam problem:

The solubility of [tex]I_2\text{(s)}[/tex] in water at 25ºC is 0.0013 M.

Calculate the solubility of [tex]I_2\text{(s)}[/tex] in a 0.1 M solution of KI(aq) by considering this equilibrium:

[tex]I_2\text{(aq)}+I^-\text{(aq)} \leftrightharpoons I_3^-\text{(aq)}, \quad K = 700 M^{-1}[/tex]​

---

I assume that I2(s) just dissolves like I2(s) <-> I2(aq). I have found the solubility to be 0.0489 M, but I lack a systematic way of solving this. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2006 #2
    [tex]I_2 (s) \leftrightharpoons I_2 (aq)[/tex]

That's the solubility reaction of [itex]I_2[/itex].

Now, consider that you add a a 0.1 M solution of [itex]KI[/itex]. One of the ions of this salt, [itex]I^-[/itex], reacts with [itex]I_2 (aq)[/itex]. Acoording to Le Châtelier's Principle what will happen to the equilibrium above since the concentration of [itex]I_2 (aq)[/itex] got lower.

4. Jul 28, 2006 #3
    It will shift to the right, so the solubility will go up (consistent with my result.) I should compute the I3- concentration and add it to the I2(aq) concentration to find the new solubility, right?

5. Jul 28, 2006 #4
    How did you found that solubility?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  6. Jul 30, 2006 #5
    Hmm, not sure. But I think I know how to do it now. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?