What is the solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water at 20 °C?

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water is 125 g/L at 20 °C. A solution is prepared at 20 °C that contains 6.0 grams of K2Cr2O7 in 50 mL of water. Based on this information, the solution is unsaturated. To find the solubility and concentration, you can compare the number of grams in the solution to the solubility of 125 g/L. Additionally, you can use the ratio of 125 g/L to find the amount of grams that dissolve in 50 mL of water.
jdawg

Homework Statement

5. The solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water is 125 g/L at 20 °C. A solution is prepared at 20 °C that contains 6.0 grams of K2Cr2O7 in 50. mL of water.
This solution is (A) dilute. (B) saturated. (C) supersaturated. (D) unsaturated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! I'm trying to study for my chemistry final and I have no memory of working problems like this. I feel like we might of just briefly talked about this in class. I know the answer is D, but I don't know how to work this problem. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the solubility in gm/ml?
What is the concentration of your solution in gm/ml?

Chet

What is gm? :(

Chet means gram.

Generally the question is about having both solubility and concentration of the prepared solution expressed using the same unit (whatever you choose) and comparing both numbers.

Likes Chestermiller
Oh ok. So how do you find the solubility and concentration?

jdawg said:
how do you find the solubility

Have you read the problem?

jdawg said:
The solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water is 125 g/L

Likes Chestermiller
I'm panicking about this exam man, my mind is clouded. No need to be sassy.

Hint: if there are 6.0 grams of K2Cr2O7 in 50. mL of water, how many grams would be in 1 L of identical solution?

Alternatively, if 125 grams dissolve in 1 L, how many grams will dissolve in 50 mL?

Likes Chestermiller

What is K2Cr2O7?

K2Cr2O7 is the chemical formula for potassium dichromate, a bright orange compound used in various industrial processes and laboratory experiments.

What is the solubility of K2Cr2O7?

The solubility of K2Cr2O7 depends on the solvent used. In water, it has a solubility of 64 g/L at 20 °C. In other solvents such as ethylene glycol, its solubility may be higher or lower.

What factors affect the solubility of K2Cr2O7?

The solubility of K2Cr2O7 can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solvent. It is also slightly soluble in acidic solutions due to the formation of chromic acid.

What happens when K2Cr2O7 is dissolved in water?

When K2Cr2O7 is dissolved in water, it dissociates into potassium ions (K+) and dichromate ions (Cr2O72-). These ions are responsible for the bright orange color of the solution.

Why is the solubility of K2Cr2O7 important?

The solubility of K2Cr2O7 is important in various industrial processes, such as in the production of pigments and dyes. It is also used in laboratory experiments as an oxidizing agent. Understanding its solubility can help in determining the appropriate conditions for its use.