1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility question

1. May 29, 2006 #1
    Why does the solubility of KNO3, in water, rises with increasing temperature and the solubility of Na2SO4 descreases? :approve:
    Thank you. :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are your thoughts ?

We can't help you unless you help yourself. :biggrin:

4. May 29, 2006 #3
    I am sorry. I usually help people who do not present their thoughts, I never remeber those rules.

Here are my thoughts:
    1. The dissolution of a salt involves two phases. First, the separation of the ions, which is endoenergetic because involves breaking of ionic bonds and, second, the solvatation, in this case, an hydration since the solvent is water, which is exoenergetic.

2. If the energy consumed in the first phase is greater than the energy freed in the second phase, the dissolution of the salt is globally endoenergetic. If the energy consumed in the first phase is minor than the energy freed in the second phase, the dissolution of the salt is globally exoenergetic.

Conclusion: I think, then, that the dissolution of KNO3 is globally endoenergetic, so rises with increasing temperature, and the dissolution of Na2SO4 is globally exoenergetic so decreases with increasing temperature.

Am I right?

5. May 29, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perfectly.

PS : Please do not help folks that show no original effort. It is rarely helpful to the student in the long run.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?