Effect of Solutes on Solution Solubility: Acetone Evaporator

• Thread starter Praestrigiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the amount of one solute in a solution affects the maximum quantity of another solute that can be dissolved in the solution or the rate of dissolution. The speaker also mentions using an acetone evaporator for thermal management and questions the relevance of humidity in the effectiveness of the cooler. The response is that humidity does play a role, but there is no model to accurately predict the behavior of such solutions. The effectiveness may heavily rely on experimental parameters, and the speaker hopes they are wrong. The conversation also touches on the air contact with the acetone and the possibility of using a heat exchanger.
Praestrigiator
Does the amount of one solute in a solution effect the maximum quantity of another solute that can be dissolved ino that solution, or the rate of dissolution?
To provide context: I'm thinking of making an acetone evaporator for thermal management purposes. I'm wondering if the humidity of the intake air would be relevant in the effectiveness of the cooler, especially since I would mostly be using it in the summer, when the air is remarkably humid here.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Short answer: yes, it does.

But apart from relatively simple cases (common ion effect) I am not aware of any model describing the behavior of such solutions, and intuition tells me even if they exist (highly probable) they are heavily relying on experimental parameters (as most models dealing with non-ideal mixtures do).

Hopefully I am wrong.

Borek said:
Short answer: yes, it does.

But apart from relatively simple cases (common ion effect) I am not aware of any model describing the behavior of such solutions, and intuition tells me even if they exist (highly probable) they are heavily relying on experimental parameters (as most models dealing with non-ideal mixtures do).

Hopefully I am wrong.
Hmm, so I'm SoL when it comes to predicting the effectiveness of my acetone heat rejector? I love the 'build it and hope for the best' method of engineering. It's my favorite.

Does the air contact the acetone directly, or is there a heat exchanger with with acetone evaporating on one side of a wall and air cooling on the other side?

1. Why does adding solutes affect the solubility of a solution?

When solutes are added to a solution, they disrupt the interactions between the solvent molecules. This makes it more difficult for the solvent molecules to surround and dissolve the solute molecules, resulting in a decrease in solubility.

2. How does the type of solute affect the solubility of a solution?

The type of solute plays a significant role in determining the solubility of a solution. Different solutes have different molecular structures and therefore interact differently with the solvent molecules. For example, polar solutes will have a higher solubility in polar solvents, while nonpolar solutes will have a higher solubility in nonpolar solvents.

3. What is the effect of temperature on the solubility of a solution?

Generally, as temperature increases, the solubility of a solution also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules of the solvent have more kinetic energy, making them move faster and have a greater ability to overcome the forces holding the solute molecules together. However, this relationship may not hold true for all solutes and solvents.

4. How does pressure impact the solubility of a solution?

In most cases, pressure has a negligible effect on the solubility of a solution. However, when dealing with gases, an increase in pressure can increase the solubility of the gas in the solution. This is because the increased pressure forces more gas molecules into contact with the solvent, increasing the chances of them dissolving.

5. What is the role of the solvent in determining solubility?

The solvent is a crucial factor in determining the solubility of a solution. The properties of the solvent, such as polarity and molecular structure, will affect how well it can dissolve different types of solutes. Additionally, the amount of solvent present also plays a role, as a higher concentration of solvent will result in a higher solubility of the solute.