Solving Box Sliding Down Plain: V(0) Calculation

• Thread starter ido25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass sliding down an inclined plane towards a spring with no friction. The goal is to find the velocity of the mass at the moment of impact. The equations of conservation of energy are used, but there is some confusion about whether the collision between the mass and the weightless spring is elastic or not. The person is unsure if there is any energy loss in this situation.
ido25
I was asked to solve the following problem:

A box is sliding down a plain inclined 30 degrees above the horizontal.
towards a spring attached to the start of the plain.
when the box hit the spring its velocity is V(0).
the box continue moving for another 0.1m until a complete stop.

* there is no friction on the plain.
* the spring is weightless, and was in rest before the impact.
* Values : Box mass = 0.5Kg , K constant = 400N/m.

i was asked to find V(0) at the moment of the impact.

i used the equations :

1/2 (0.5Kg) (V(0) ^ 2)
= (0.5 kg) (9.8m/s^2) ((-0.1m)sin30) + 1/2(400N/m)(-0.1m)^2

My questions:
1. what type of collision occurred ? Plastic or elastic?
2. was i right? i got 0 points for this question, and would like to know why...
3. was there any energy loss in the system?

Thanks . :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
ido25 said:
i was asked to find V(0) at the moment of the impact.

i used the equations :

1/2 (0.5Kg) (V(0) ^ 2)

Looks OK to me. You are applying conservation of energy. You are assuming no energy loss in the collision of mass with spring. (That's the usual OK assumption--since you are treating the spring as massless.) The "complete stop" is only momentary--it will spring back up.

Since you are using conservation of energy, you are assuming no mechanical energy loss. I don't know why you got it wrong. Did you check your arithmetic?

thanks Doc.
actually the question was vice versa - it was just easier for me describing the problem like this in this forum.

In the original question the equations were given, and i was asked to "write" a problem, that should be solved with the equations.
the problem i invented was described above.

I was told I'm wrong because "I assumed that the collision was elastic, and that is not sure"
is the any way the collision is not elastic when the spring is without mass?
is there any energy loss in this situation?

thanks again, and looking forward to get some answers that will help me deal with my lecturer... : :confused:

I am confused about exactly what you were given and exactly what you were asked to do.

What equation were you given? If it's the one you provided, then it sure looks like conservation of energy to me. If the objection is to the collision, then get rid of it! :smile: Your invented problem can be stated: A mass attached to a spring on an incline is seen to be moving at speed v. How far does the spring compress before the mass reverses direction?

Ok, the equations were written in the test :
1/2 (0.5Kg) (V(0) ^ 2)

i had to "invent" a problem, that should be solved with the exact same equations.

the problem that i invented was described above.. unfortunatly, i choosed somehow a problematic solution, which involve a collision with a weightless spring.

i was told its wrong because the collision might not be elastic, and therefore there will be energy waste. i think that the collision must be elastic.
Am i right?

And , may i add, this was a part of a test... so unfortunatly i cannot change the question. i need to know if i can win this case with the current solution..

1. What is the formula for calculating the initial velocity of a box sliding down a plane?

The formula for calculating the initial velocity of a box sliding down a plane is V(0) = √(2gh), where V(0) is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the plane.

2. How do I determine the height of the plane in the calculation?

The height of the plane can be determined by measuring the vertical distance from the starting point of the box to the end point of its slide. This distance is represented by h in the formula V(0) = √(2gh).

3. Can this formula be used for any type of surface or plane?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of surface or plane as long as the box is sliding down due to the force of gravity. It is important to note that the acceleration due to gravity may vary slightly depending on the location.

4. How does the mass of the box affect the calculation?

The mass of the box does not directly affect the calculation of the initial velocity. However, a heavier box may require more force to start sliding down the plane, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered in this calculation?

Other factors that should be considered in this calculation include the coefficient of friction between the box and the plane, air resistance, and the angle of the plane. These factors can affect the acceleration of the box and therefore, the initial velocity calculation.