Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution for the Differential Equation

1. Feb 26, 2005 #1
    I have a problem that I can't solve. Please help me.

Here is it:
    Verify that the function y = -(cos x) ln (sec x + tan x) is an explicit solution of the differential equation y'' + y = tan x. Assume an appropriate interval I of definition.

First of all, I don't understand the meaning of "Assume an appropriate interval I of definition".

Second, I tried to differnetiate y = -(cos x) ln (sec x + tan x) twice in order to get y'' and replace it in the function but I couldn't. It's realy difficult and terribly long. I think I'm doing it in the wrong way. Please help me in that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The interval part is put there for you not,as not to worry about singularity points (and points in which the argument of the natural logarithm is negative) and simply do what you already did,viz.differentiate.So do not worry.Simply compute the second order derivative,even if ugly...

4. Feb 26, 2005 #3
    The derivative of ln (sec + tan) is just sec.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?