Is it possible to find natural numbers a and b that satisfy 2^a-3^b = 7?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding natural numbers a and b such that $2^a-3^b = 7$. The responder provides a solution of a pair $(a, b)$ that satisfies the challenge and suggests the possibility of deriving the solution analytically with a proof. The original poster clarifies that they meant to ask for a solution, not just an answer. The responder then confirms that their previous response is indeed the correct solution and offers to provide a full solution with a proof.
kaliprasad
Gold Member
MHB
Find natural numbers a and b such that $2^a-3^b = 7$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By observation, $2^4 - 3^2 = 7$.

Bacterius said:
By observation, $2^4 - 3^2 = 7$.

Answer is right but I want solution

kaliprasad said:
Answer is right but I want solution

This is a solution, I've shown a pair $(a, b)$ in natural numbers which satisfies your challenge. Do you mean you want it derived analytically along with a proof that there is only one (or more, I don't know) such pair(s)? :p

Bacterius said:
This is a solution, I've shown a pair $(a, b)$ in natural numbers which satisfies your challenge. Do you mean you want it derived analytically along with a proof that there is only one (or more, I don't know) such pair(s)? :p

You are right I meant solve. Sorry for wrong wording

Above answer is correct
the full solution is

a cannot be odd because if a is odd then$2^a$ mod 3 = -1 so $2^a – 3^b$ mod 3 = -1 so it cannot be 7 as 7 = 1 mod 3b cannot be odd as if b is odd $3^b$ =3 mod 8
so $2^a – 3^b = 5$ mod 8 for a >= 3if a = 1 or 2 $2^ a< 7$ so $2^a – 3^b = 7$ not possibleso a and b both are evensay a = 2x and b = 2yso $2^{2x} – 3^{2y} = 7$or $(2^x + 3^y)(2^x- 3^y) = 7$so $2^x + 3^y = 7$ and $2^x – 3^y = 1 $solving these 2 we get x = 2 and y = 1 or a= 4 and b = 2

Last edited:

What is a solution in natural numbers?

A solution in natural numbers refers to a set of numbers that satisfy a given equation, equation system, or inequality. These numbers are typically positive whole numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) but can also include 0.

How do you find a solution in natural numbers?

To find a solution in natural numbers, you must first identify the equation or inequality and its variables. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the values of the variables that satisfy the given equation or inequality.

Can a solution in natural numbers be negative?

No, a solution in natural numbers cannot be negative. Natural numbers only include positive whole numbers and 0, so any solution must be within that range. If a negative number is obtained during the solving process, it means that the solution is not in natural numbers.

Why is it important to find solutions in natural numbers?

Finding solutions in natural numbers is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems and make practical applications. Natural numbers represent quantities and counts, so solutions in natural numbers are more meaningful and applicable in real-life scenarios.

What are some common applications of solutions in natural numbers?

Solutions in natural numbers are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to solve problems related to counting, measurement, optimization, and more. Some examples include calculating the number of objects in a group, finding the optimal route for a delivery truck, or determining the minimum cost for a manufacturing process.