1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution of 4th order ODE

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I should probably know how to do this, but I am confused as to how to solve the following 4th order ODE:

[tex]\begin{align}
    & EI \frac{\mathrm{d}^4 w}{\mathrm{d} x^4} = 0 \\
    & w|_{x = 0} = 0 \quad ; \quad \frac{\mathrm{d} w}{\mathrm{d} x}\bigg|_{x = 0} = 0 \quad ; \quad
    \frac{\mathrm{d}^2 w}{\mathrm{d} x^2}\bigg|_{x = L} = 0 \quad ; \quad -EI \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 w}{\mathrm{d} x^3}\bigg|_{x = L} = F\,
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

The well-known solution is:

[tex]w = \frac{F}{6 EI}(3 L x^2 - x^3)\,~.[/tex]

...but I don't know how to obtain it myself.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since all the roots of the characteristic equation would be 0, the solution should be:

w = c1*exp(0*x) + c2*exp(0*x) +...+c4*exp(0*x)

Then normally one would use the initial conditions to get the constants, but that gives sth like the following system:

c1+c2+c3+c4 = 0
    0 = 0
    0 = 0
    0 = 0

haha

in fact, I am not sure how one could get an equation with powers of x solving the equation this way. I must be going about this wrong or making a very simple mistake somewhere...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integrate the ODE step by step. d4w/dx4=0, what do you know about d3w/dx3?

ehild

4. Aug 7, 2010 #3
    wow, so simple. thanks a lot.

re-reading my ODE book, it says that the method i was using assumes the answer is exponentials. i guess i should read more carefully

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook