1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution of an initial value problem and general solution of differential equation

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Find he solution of the initial value problem:
    x^2 (dy)/(dx) = 4y y(1)=2

2. Find the general solution of the differential equation:
    (dy)/(dx) - 2y = e^(5x)

3. The attempt at a solution

i'm completely confused by this, no idea where to start. If someone could work through these questions and explaining (slowly) what they are doing in every step i would be extremely grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: solution of an initial value problem and general solution of differential equatio

Which of these topics have you studied?

1. Separation of variables
    2. Linear equations
    3. Constant coefficient equations
    4. Integrating factors

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: solution of an initial value problem and general solution of differential equatio

Are these homework questions in a course? Do your course notes say nothing at all about such problems? Does your textbook have no relevant material? (If you answer yes to both of these questions you should ask for your money back.)

RGV

5. Sep 2, 2011 #4

yes, yes but I didn't buy the textbook coz i'm a cheap *** and there are plenty of places people are willing to share knowledge on a subject for free, like this forum.

and kurtz I don't know the names of what the processes are called, he just teaches them without naming them.

are any of you going to help or just tell me to pay attention in class?

6. Sep 2, 2011 #5

sorry if I was a bit rude, it's just that these questions and the rest that i've already done are due in a few days

7. Sep 3, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A bit rude? You have pretty much guarenteed that no one will want to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook