How to Solve the Dirac Equation for a Two-Particle System?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the Dirac equation for a 2 particle system. The person is requesting a book or material for guidance, and they are given suggestions such as 'The Dirac Equation' by B. Thaller and other approximate approaches. The person expresses gratitude and mentions their intention to try the suggestions and come back for further help.
nakulphy
Hello

I am trying to solve the dirac equation. I want to solve the dirac eq say for 2 particle system. therefore i request you to please suggest me the book or some material.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a book by B. Thaller called just like that: 'The Dirac Equation'. Read it as a first.

Likes 1 person
thank you very much

See also Bjorken and Drells relativistic quantum mechanics text.

The Dirac equation is a 1 particle equation. For 2 relativistic particles, the situation is much more complicated.
Some approximate approaches are Breit equation, the Bethe- Salpeter equation, and the Salpeter equation. You could look them up by using Google.

thank you very much I will try on this and will come back to you.
thank you

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It was first proposed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is a fundamental equation in the field of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is significant because it successfully combines quantum mechanics and special relativity, two major theories in physics. It also predicted the existence of antimatter, which was later confirmed by experiments. The equation is also used to describe the behavior of particles in high-energy physics and is an important tool in the study of particle physics.

3. How is the Dirac equation solved?

The Dirac equation can be solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The solutions to the equation give information about the energy levels and properties of the particle described by the equation.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the solution of the Dirac equation?

The solution of the Dirac equation represents the wave function of a particle, which describes its probability of existing at a certain location and time. The square of the wave function gives the probability density of finding the particle at a specific location.

5. What are some real-life applications of the solution of the Dirac equation?

The solution of the Dirac equation has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It is also used in the study of materials and electronic properties, as well as in the field of quantum computing.