Solution of the logistic DE P'=kP(C-P)

• Thread starter DMOC
  • Start date
In summary, the function P(t) = C/(1+d*e^{-kCt}) is a solution of the logistic DE P' = kP(C-P). The attempt at a solution involved finding the derivative of the function and using the chain rule, but the correct solution was not obtained. The correct solution involves taking the derivative of the exponential term and cancelling out terms to get back to the original equation.
DMOC

Homework Statement

Verify by direct cauculation that if k, C, and d are constants, then the function P(t) = C/(1+d*e[tex]^{-kCt}[/tex]) is a solution of the logistic DE P' = kP(C-P).

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any for this problem. :)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so ... uh ... I guess in this problem I should just be looking for the derivative of the original equation. So here goes ...

P(t) = C/(1+d*e[tex]^{-kCt}[/tex])
P(t) = C(1+d*e[tex]^{-kCt}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex] -- [I just moved the bottom part to the top.]
P(t) = -(e[tex]^{-t}[/tex])[tex]^{-2}[/tex]*-1 (chain rule) <-- I think this is where I go wrong. C, k, and d are constants so I just made their derivaties one. Is that the right thing to do? Because somehow I get the feeling that the third line of work here isn't going to get me to the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
P'(t) = -2e^-kCt(1+d*e^{-kCt})^{-3}Now I'm stuck. Could someone please tell me how to get from the fourth line to the original equation? Thank you so much!

1. What is the logistic differential equation?

The logistic differential equation is a mathematical model used to describe the growth of a population over time. It takes into account both the population's current size and its carrying capacity, which is the maximum population size that the environment can sustain. The equation is typically written as P' = kP(C-P), where P represents the population, k is a growth rate constant, and C is the carrying capacity.

2. How is the logistic differential equation solved?

The logistic differential equation can be solved using separation of variables and integration. This results in the solution P(t) = C/(1+Ae^(-kt)), where A is a constant determined by the initial conditions of the population. This solution shows how the population P changes over time t.

3. What does the k parameter represent in the logistic differential equation?

The k parameter in the logistic differential equation represents the growth rate of the population. It determines how quickly the population P approaches its carrying capacity C. A higher k value indicates a faster growth rate, while a lower k value indicates a slower growth rate.

4. How does the carrying capacity affect the solution of the logistic differential equation?

The carrying capacity C affects the behavior of the solution of the logistic differential equation. If the initial population P(0) is less than the carrying capacity C, the population will grow exponentially until it reaches the carrying capacity. If the initial population is greater than the carrying capacity, the population will decrease until it reaches the carrying capacity. Once the population reaches the carrying capacity, it will remain at that level.

5. What real-life applications does the logistic differential equation have?

The logistic differential equation has various applications in biology, ecology, and economics. It can be used to model the growth of animal populations, the spread of diseases, and the adoption of new products by consumers. It can also be used to study the dynamics of financial markets and the competition between different companies in an industry.