Solution related to certain condition in quadratic equation

In summary, the range of k for which the function f(x) = x2 + kx + k2 - 2k - 4 has one solution between 0 and 1 and the other solution between 1 and 2 is -4/3 < k < 1 - √5. This can be found by considering the sum and product of the roots using the Vieta formula and the condition that the discriminant must be non-negative. However, it is important to also consider the nature of the function at x = 1 to eliminate any potential cases where both roots fall between 0.5 and 1.
songoku

Homework Statement

For a constant k, consider the function f(x) = x2 + kx + k2 - 2k - 4
Find the range of k for which f(x) = 0 has one solution between 0 and 1 and the other solution between 1 and 2

Homework Equations

quadratic formula
discriminant

The Attempt at a Solution

x2 + kx + k2 - 2k - 4 = 0

Using quadratic formula:
[tex]x=\frac{-k±\sqrt{-3k^2+8k+16}}{2}[/tex]

Then I set:
[tex]0 < \frac{-k-\sqrt{-3k^2+8k+16}}{2} < 1[/tex] and [tex]1 < \frac{-k+\sqrt{-3k^2+8k+16}}{2} < 2[/tex]

Am I on the right track? I think solving that inequality will take a lot of work... Is there other method?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, though very tedious. Another thing you can try is see how the graph of the quadratic is.

Meaning, the curve f(x) intersects x axis(has 2 roots), what condition does this give you for the discriminant?
Then, for a root to be in (0,1) and the other to be in (1,2) what should the nature of product of f(0) and f(2) be? Will this be a necessary -and- sufficient condition?

Drawing a rough graph will help :smile:

Try to use the relation between coefficients and roots of the quadratic equation.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Try to us the relation between coefficients and roots of the quadratic equation.

ehild

This is actually an easier method to understand, than I suggested :smile:

ehild said:
Try to us the relation between coefficients and roots of the quadratic equation.

ehild

I am not sure what you mean by "relation between coefficients and roots of the quadratic equation". Are you talking about Vieta's formula?

If yes, I don't see how Vieta's formula can form inequality to find range of k...

If no, then I don't what your hint means...:redface:

songoku said:
I am not sure what you mean by "relation between coefficients and roots of the quadratic equation". Are you talking about Vieta's formula?

If yes, I don't see how Vieta's formula can form inequality to find range of k...

If no, then I don't what your hint means...:redface:

Yes, the Vieta formula. Consider the roots to be A and B.

A + B = ??

A*B = ??

Hint : you already know the lowest possible value for your roots is in (0,1) and the highest is in (1,2) How can you get an interval of sum of roots and product from this?

It was Vieta! I could not remember the name.:blushing:
One condition comes also from the discriminant -3k2+8k+16. It can not be negative.
So you have three condition for k...

ehild

Infinitum said:
Yes, the Vieta formula. Consider the roots to be A and B.

A + B = ??

A*B = ??

Hint : you already know the lowest possible value for your roots is in (0,1) and the highest is in (1,2) How can you get an interval of sum of roots and product from this?

OK let me try :smile:

Let the roots of the equation f(x) = 0 be A and B. So:

A + B = -k and 1 < A + B < 3, then 1 < -k < 3 leads to -3 < k < -1

A.B = k2 - 2k - 4 and 0 < AB < 2, then 0 < k2 - 2k - 4 < 2
1. 0 < k2 - 2k - 4 --> solving this, I got : k < 1 - √5 or k > 1 + √5

2. k2 - 2k - 4 < 2 --> solving this, I got : 1 - √7 < k < 1 + √7

So the range of k for 0 < k2 - 2k - 4 < 2 is 1 - √7 < k < 1 - √5 or 1 + √5 < k < 1 + √7

The intersection of -3 < k < -1 and (1 - √7 < k < 1 - √5 or 1 + √5 < k < 1 + √7) is 1 - √7 < k < 1 - √5

But if I remember correctly, the solution is (1 - √13) / 2 < k < 1 - √5

Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Infinitum said:
the curve f(x) intersects x axis(has 2 roots), what condition does this give you for the discriminant?

ehild said:
One condition comes also from the discriminant -3k2+8k+16. It can not be negative.

There you go.

ehild said:
It was Vieta! I could not remember the name.:blushing:
So you have three condition for k...

ehild

Infinitum said:
There you go.

-3k2+8k+16 ≥ 0

Solving that, I got : -4/3 ≤ k ≤ 4 and that leads to the same solution as previous: 1 - √7 < k < 1 - √5 :confused:

1-√7=-1.645. -4/3 = -1.333. 1-√5=-1.236. So what is the domain for k?

ehild

Edit again.

I just found a fatal problem with this method of using only Vieta formula and discriminant. In your cases you also consider the cases when both A and B are between (0.5,1) since addition and multiplication of these two numbers will satisfy the inequality you get. To rectify this, think about what the nature of f(1) should be? Refer my post #2 for that.

Last edited:
ehild said:
1-√7=-1.645. -4/3 = -1.333. 1-√5=-1.236. So what is the domain for k?

ehild

Infinitum said:
Edit : ehild replied :smile:

Oops sorry my bad. I thought 1 - √7 > -4/3

So, the domain for k is -4/3 < k < 1 - √5

But still it's not the same as the answer key, which is (1 - √13) / 2 < k < 1 - √5

How can we get term (1 - √13) / 2 from above working?

Please see post #12 again.

Infinitum said:
Please see post #12 again.

Sorry, when I posted, your post #12 consists only ehild replied :smile:

I found the answer thanks to your hint. But how can you know we need to eliminate the case [0.5 , 1]? And how can we be sure that there are no others fatal problems such as [0.5 , 1]?

If there was no answer key, I will answer -4/3 < k < 1 - √5 confidently :tongue:

songoku said:
Sorry, when I posted, your post #12 consists only ehild replied :smile:

I found the answer thanks to your hint. But how can you know we need to eliminate the case [0.5 , 1]? And how can we be sure that there are no others fatal problems such as [0.5 , 1]?

If there was no answer key, I will answer -4/3 < k < 1 - √5 confidently :tongue:

To see whether there is a problem, the best way is to see if you can find any example that will contradict your answer :wink:

The method I explained in post #2 is foolproof. You only need to be cautious. :smile:

I do not understand. Just the Vieta formulae were not enough. But we added the condition of the non-negativity of the discriminant with k.
It is not required that any pair from (0,1) and (1,2) be solutions.

The official solution is (1 - √13) / 2 < k < 1 - √5. Approximately it means -1.30<k<-1.23

We got -1.33<k<-1.23. And k=-1.32 is still appropriate.

ehild

Infinitum said:
To see whether there is a problem, the best way is to see if you can find any example that will contradict your answer :wink:

The method I explained in post #2 is foolproof. You only need to be cautious. :smile:

Sometimes it is pretty hard to find any example that will contradict the answer, such as this one, because -4/3 is not so much differs from (1 - √13) / 2 :biggrin:

But I'll try to keep that in mind :smile:

By the way, I think using f(0) > 0 and f(1) < 0 will give correct result and it is faster ?? I got this idea from your post :smile:

ehild said:
I do not understand. Just the Vieta formulae were not enough. But we added the condition of the non-negativity of the discriminant with k.
It is not required that any pair from (0,1) and (1,2) be solutions.

The official solution is (1 - √13) / 2 < k < 1 - √5. Approximately it means -1.30<k<-1.23

We got -1.33<k<-1.23. And k=-1.32 is still appropriate.

ehild

I am not sure I get what you mean but substituting k = -1.32 to f(x) will result that the solution does not lie on interval (1,2)

songoku said:
I am not sure I get what you mean but substituting k = -1.32 to f(x) will result that the solution does not lie on interval (1,2)

Sorry, I miscalculated something. Infinitum is right.
But it was a nice problem...

ehild

songoku said:
Sometimes it is pretty hard to find any example that will contradict the answer, such as this one, because -4/3 is not so much differs from (1 - √13) / 2 :biggrin:

But I'll try to keep that in mind :smile:

By the way, I think using f(0) > 0 and f(1) < 0 will give correct result and it is faster ?? I got this idea from your post :smile:

No. Thats not a necessary AND sufficient condition. Since you already found the answer, let me elaborate my method.

The graph of the given equation is an upward parabola.

Obviously, discriminant is greater than 0. Now from your conditions on roots, f(0) is positive, and so is f(2). So, their product will be positive(you can separately make two inequalities for each to be greater than 0, but I find this easier). Whence you get the inequality, f(0).f(2) > 0. The other condition is, f(1) < 0. The intersection of these three conditions will give you the answer.
ehild said:
But it was a nice problem...
ehild
Sure was! :smile:

It is a very nice and easy solution, if you have found it! Congratulation! Just a little note: f(2) = k^2, so it is obviously not negative. That product of f(0) and f(2) was a bit confusing.

ehild

ehild said:
It is a very nice and easy solution, if you have found it! Congratulation! Just a little note: f(2) = k^2, so it is obviously not negative. That product of f(0) and f(2) was a bit confusing.

ehild

Actually, this holds even if f(2) wasn't k^2. Here's why,

The graph of the parabola is upward, and it intersects x-axis in between (1,2). So, as the curve proceeds, it goes above 2, making f(2) positive in any situation. Same logic for f(0). And since products of positive numbers are always positive...

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 464
Infinitum said:
Actually, this holds even if f(2) wasn't k^2. Here's why,

All right, I know that both f(0) and f(2) have to be positive but why did you suggest the product? It complicates the problem and the product can be positive if both values are negative.

ehild

ehild said:
All right, I know that both f(0) and f(2) have to be positive but why did you suggest the product? It complicates the problem and the product can be positive if both values are negative.

ehild

Ah, yes. I was trying to generalize the result o:), since if the coefficient of x^2 was negative, it would still imply the product of f(0) and f(2) would be positive. But it does include more cases, so it would be wise to consider each separately.

Last edited:
Infinitum said:
No. Thats not a necessary AND sufficient condition. Since you already found the answer, let me elaborate my method.

The graph of the given equation is an upward parabola.

Obviously, discriminant is greater than 0. Now from your conditions on roots, f(0) is positive, and so is f(2). So, their product will be positive(you can separately make two inequalities for each to be greater than 0, but I find this easier). Whence you get the inequality, f(0).f(2) > 0. The other condition is, f(1) < 0. The intersection of these three conditions will give you the answer.

Sure was! :smile:

Sorry, I don't get the part about necessary and sufficient condition. Which one is necessary and sufficient condition? And that proposition is necessary and sufficient condition to what proposition?

I hope I made myself clear :smile:

Thanks

songoku said:
Sorry, I don't get the part about necessary and sufficient condition. Which one is necessary and sufficient condition? And that proposition is necessary and sufficient condition to what proposition?

I hope I made myself clear :smile:

Thanks

The necessary condition is to include f(2) > 0, which you hadn't. And it is necessary to get the answer to your original question! Also, as I posted above, it would be better to use f(0) > 0, f(2) > 0, and f(1) < 0 since its more reliable.

Infinitum said:
The necessary condition is to include f(2) > 0, which you hadn't. And it is necessary to get the answer to your original question! Also, as I posted above, it would be better to use f(0) > 0, f(2) > 0, and f(1) < 0 since its more reliable.

Oh I see

Thanks a lot for the help :smile:

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it can be written as ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the equation. You can also use factoring or completing the square methods to solve quadratic equations.

3. What is the discriminant in a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign, b² - 4ac. It helps determine the nature of the solutions to a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions, if it is zero, there is one real solution, and if it is negative, there are two complex solutions.

4. What is the difference between real and complex solutions in a quadratic equation?

Real solutions are values of x that make the equation true and can be represented on the number line. Complex solutions involve the imaginary number i, and cannot be represented on the number line. They come in pairs, known as conjugates, and are commonly written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.

5. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

In the standard form, a quadratic equation can have a maximum of two solutions. However, if you consider complex solutions, it can have an infinite number of solutions. Also, if the equation is not in standard form (i.e. has higher powers of x), it can have more than two solutions.