Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution -> Second Order ODE?

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am trying to decide whether y(t) = c1t^2 + c2 t^−1, where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants, is the general solution of the differential equation (t^2)y'' − 2y = 0 for t > 0 and justify the answer, but I don't really know how to approach it from this "side" of the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To check that the proposed solution is a solution of the ODE, one only needs to substitute the proposed solution into the ODE and verify that the equation holds.
  4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    Like Hootenanny said, i am just going to give more details:[tex]y(t)=c_1t^{2}+c_2t^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]y'(t)=2c_1t-c_2t^{-2},\ \ \ y''(t)=2c_1+2c_2t^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]t^{2}y''-2y=0[/tex] Now all you need to do is plug in for y'', and y. That is

NOw if this equals 0, then we conclude that :[tex]y(t)=c_1t^{2}+c_2t^{-1}[/tex]
    is a solution of

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

sutupidmath showed that that is a solution to the differenital equation. The fact that it is the general solution follows from the fact that this is a second order linear differential equation- so its solution set is a two dimensional vector space- and the two given functions are independent- and so form a basis for the solution space.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?