1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution -> Second Order ODE?

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am trying to decide whether y(t) = c1t^2 + c2 t^−1, where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants, is the general solution of the differential equation (t^2)y'' − 2y = 0 for t > 0 and justify the answer, but I don't really know how to approach it from this "side" of the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To check that the proposed solution is a solution of the ODE, one only needs to substitute the proposed solution into the ODE and verify that the equation holds.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    Like Hootenanny said, i am just going to give more details:[tex]y(t)=c_1t^{2}+c_2t^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]y'(t)=2c_1t-c_2t^{-2},\ \ \ y''(t)=2c_1+2c_2t^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]t^{2}y''-2y=0[/tex] Now all you need to do is plug in for y'', and y. That is

[tex]t^{2}(2c_1+2c_2t^{-3}-2(c_1t^{2}+c_2t^{-1})=.....[/tex]

NOw if this equals 0, then we conclude that :[tex]y(t)=c_1t^{2}+c_2t^{-1}[/tex]
    is a solution of

[tex]t^{2}y''-2y=0[/tex]

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

sutupidmath showed that that is a solution to the differenital equation. The fact that it is the general solution follows from the fact that this is a second order linear differential equation- so its solution set is a two dimensional vector space- and the two given functions are independent- and so form a basis for the solution space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?