1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to Bessel's Differential Equation

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone. Need some more pairs of eyes for this one:

"For each positive integer ##n##, the Bessel Function ##J_n(x)## may be defined by:
    [tex]J_n(x) = \frac{x^n}{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdots(2n-1)\pi}\int^1_{-1}(1 - t^2)^{n-\frac{1}{2}}\cos(xt)dt[/tex]

Prove that ##J_n(x)## satisfies Bessel's differential equation:
    [tex]{J_n}^{\prime\prime} + \frac{1}{x}{J_n}^{\prime} + \Big(1 - \frac{n^2}{x^2}\Big)J_n = 0[/tex]"

This problem is following a question where I proved differentiating under the integral sign. Thus, the way to do this is to simply calculate the derivatives of ##J_n(x)## and plug back into the equation. However, I can't seem to get all of the terms to cancel. I believe that the only thing that needs "calculus" methods is to calculate the derivative, with respect to x, of all the ##x## terms:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(x^ncos(xt)) = (nx^{n-1}cos(xt) - tx^nsin(xt))[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x^2}}(x^ncost(xt)) = \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(nx^{n-1}cos(xt) - tx^nsin(xt) = (n(n-1)x^{n-2}cos(xt) - tnx^{n-1}sin(xt)) - (ntx^{n-1}sin(xt) + t^2x^ncos(xt))[/tex]
    The rest would appear to be algebra. But again, not everything seems to cancel. That ##t^2## term seems to be messing things up for the ##x^n## terms and the ##x^{n-1}## terms seem to just combine. Unless there's an identity I'm overlooking, or my differentiation is wrong, I'm quite lost. Ideas? Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?