Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to GR Field Equations

1. Jul 21, 2004 #1
    I understand that the Black Hole and the worm hole are solutions to Einstein's Field Equations. However, what does it mean by solution? I want to understand what it means by solution to the Field Equations. Can the solution be anything that forms a gravitational field? Can a solution in Einstein field equations be any kind of warped Space-Time?

For instance the solution to this quadratic equation x^2-4x+3 = 0 is x=1,3

So what makes the Black Hole the solution to Field Equations? The Mechanical Understanding of the Equations is what I'm looking for.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2004 #2

Einstein's field equations are coupled second order nonlinear differential equations for the metric tensor's elements given those of the stress energy tensor as a source. A solution to Einstein's field equations is a metric tensor that according to his field equations is consistent with a given stress energy tensor. The Schwarzschild solution is the metric that is consistent with the exterior of a spherically symmetric nonrotating noncharged matter distribution. Other black holes are consistent with other stress energy tensors containing for example electric field energy or rotating matter.
  4. Jul 23, 2004 #3
    A solution to an equation such as x^2-4x+3 = 0 is a number. The equations of physics are differential equation. The solutions to differetial equations aree functions. For example: in Newton's theory the solution to the Newtonian field equations, i.e. Poisson's equation, is a vector equation, i.e. a vector function of a vector variable. In GR Einstein's field equations (EFE) are equations between geometric objects called tensors. The EFE have a tensor as a solution, the metric tensor. When one chooses a coordinate system then these tensor equations become differential equations and as such the solution, i.e. the metric tensor, can be thought of as a set of ten gravitational potentials which are functions of events, i.e. of space and time.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?