1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to Homogenous PDE

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the solution of:

utt-uxx = sin(∏x) for 0<x<1
    u(x,0)=0 for 0<=x<=1
    ut(x,0)=0 for 0<=x<=1
    u(0,t)=0
    u(1,t)=0

2. Relevant equations

utt-uxx = sin(∏x) for 0<x<1
    u(x,0)=0 for 0≤x≤1
    ut(x,0)=0 for 0≤x≤1
    u(0,t)=0
    u(1,t)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking that I would need to somehow make a change of variables, converting the PDE to a homogenous PDE and continuing from there. I don't really know how I can do this or solve it at all without some assistance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The strategy is the same as for linear ODEs with constant coefficients: Find a particular solution which satisfies the PDE but not necessarily the boundary conditions. Then add a complementary solution (a solution of [itex]u_{tt} - u_{xx} = 0[/itex]) in order to satisfy the boundary conditions.

4. Sep 26, 2013 #3
    So basically something like Autt-Bxx= sin∏x and Cutt-Duxx=0 and then sum the up into a solution u(x,t)?

5. Sep 26, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

No. You have [itex]u(x,t) = u_p(x,t) + u_c(x,t)[/itex] where [itex]u_p[/itex] is any solution of
    [tex]
    u_{tt} - u_{xx} = \sin \pi x
    [/tex]
    and [itex]u_c[/itex] is the solution of
    [tex]
    u_{tt} - u_{xx} = 0
    [/tex]
    subject to [itex]u_c(x,t) = -u_p(x,t)[/itex] on the boundary.

But here it is actually simplest to try a solution of the form [itex]u(x,t) = f(t)\sin \pi x[/itex], given that [itex](\sin(\pi x))'' = -\pi^2 \sin(\pi x)[/itex]. This reduces the problem to an ODE for f(t).

6. Sep 27, 2013 #5
    So you're saying that I need to set u(x,t)= u_tt-u_xx = f(t)sin(∏x)?
    How do I find the function f(t)?

What I did was this:
    found u_xx, u_tt and plugged them into u_tt - u_xx = sin(∏x). What do I do with the boundary conditions and the initial conditions (how do they factor in)?

7. Sep 27, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

The conditions [itex]u(0,t) = f(t) \sin 0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]u(1,t) = f(t) \sin \pi = 0[/itex] are satisfied automatically.

The remaining two conditions require that
    [tex]u(x,0) = f(0) \sin\pi x = 0[/tex]
    for all [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex] and
    [tex]u_t(x,0) = f'(0) \sin \pi x = 0[/tex]
    for all [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex]. This gives you initial conditions for [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]f'[/itex].

8. Sep 29, 2013 #7
    Great! I got it!
    How would I solve this problem using a technique like changing variables instead of separation of variables?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted