1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to Killing equations

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all Killing vector solutions of the metric
    [tex]g_x{_x}=x^2, g_x{_y}=g_y{_x}=0, g_y{_y}=x[/tex]
    where [itex](x^a)=(x^0, x^1)=(x, y)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Killing equations:
    [tex]L_Xg_a{_b} = X^e\partial_eg_a{_b}+g_a{_d}\partial_bX^d+g_b{_d}{\partial}_aX^d = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]L_Xg_x{_x} = X^a+x\partial_xX^a=0[/tex]
    [tex]L_Xg_x{_y}= L_Xg_y{_x}=x\partial_yX^a+\partial_xX^a=0[/tex]
    [tex]L_Xg_y{_y}=X^a+2x\partial_yX^a=0[/tex]
    In the back of the book, it says the solution is [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex]. I don't really know what they mean by that. I've always seen [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex] as an operation that takes the partial derivative of something with respect to y, not a value. I thought perhaps it meant any function that depends only on y and not on x, but if I plug that into the equations above, I get:
    [tex]f(y)\neq0[/tex]
    [tex]x\partial_yf\neq0[/tex]
    [tex]f(y)+2x\partial_yf\neq0[/tex]
    I'm pretty sure I've got the equations correct; I just don't know what they mean when they say the solution is [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    The equations in the first post are wrong. The equations should be:[tex]L_Xg_x{_x}=2xX^x+2x^2\partial_xX^x=0[/tex][tex]L_Xg_x{_y}=L_Xg_y{_x}=x^2\partial_yX^x+x\partial_xX^y=0[/tex][tex]L_Xg_y{_y}=X^x+2x\partial_yX^y=0[/tex]
    The first equation restricts you to [itex]X^x=\frac{1}{x}f(y)[/itex], and anything I do with the second and third equations, I come up with [itex]-\frac{1}{2x^3}f(y)=\partial_y\partial_yf(y)[/itex]. Obviously, there is no solution to this except [itex]f(y)=0[/itex], so I'm still finding the only possible solution to be [itex]X^x=0, X^y=c[/itex].

I found out that [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex] indeed means any function of y. I'm not sure why they would offer that as a solution when there are 2 vectors I am solving for. Can anyone figure out why [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex] is a solution in the back of the book?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. Oct 28, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

d/dx and d/dy are a basis for the space of tangent vectors. So a general vector is written as X^x*d/dx+X^y*d/dy. Saying d/dy is a solution is just saying X^x=0 and X^y=1 is a solution. And it is, isn't it? You've already shown that. If you think of what a Killing vector means as an isometry of the metric, then d/dy corresponds to translation in the y direction. And it's pretty obvious that's an isometry, yes?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook